These were the 5 worst performing cryptos over the past week amid the bitcoin bear market
- While bitcoin and ethereum dominate the headlines, there are more than 17,000
- With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative
cryptocurrenciescan deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time.
- These were the five worst performing cryptocurrencies over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Bitcoin's bear market has sucked the life out of many popular cryptocurrencies, with the total crypto market capitalization falling from $3 trillion to less than $2 trillion today. But less liquid
With more than 17,000 cryptocurrencies in existence and counting, there are more than triple the number of crypto coins than there are US exchange-listed stocks. That massive amount of supply makes it nearly impossible to keep track of all the big movers in the crypto sector outside of well known coins like bitcoin, ether, and dogecoin.
The surge in new crypto coins came amid a massive bull market for the sector in 2021, but a more than 40% decline in bitcoin from its November high is challenging the space, especially in smaller coins that saw extraordinary gains last year like solana, cardano, and polkadot.
With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative cryptocurrencies can deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time. Shiba inu is down 65% from its recent high, but is still up big over the past year. Meanwhile, squid game token fell 99% in a single day after delivering swift gains of 75,000%.
Keeping an eye on the weekly winners and losers can help investors identify which coins are beginning to gain and lose traction in the crypto community.
These were the five worst performing cryptocurrencies with a market value of more than $1 billion over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
5. Curve DAO Token
Market Value: $1.7 billion
7-Day Performance: -26.2%
4. NEAR Protocol
Market Value: $8.9 billion
7-Day Performance: -27.8%
Market Value: $1.1 billion
7-Day Performance: -30.5%
Market Value: $2.8 billion
7-Day Performance: -33.0%
Market Value: $1.3 billion
7-Day Performance: -33.4%
- Top 10 must-visit destinations in South Africa
- Indian markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Stock markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Icy pebbles may be carrying water to developing planets across the cosmos!
- With $500 billion in reserves, LIC is the world’s fourth largest insurer