UBS CEO says crypto is an untested asset class and he isn't worried about missing out on clients
- Ralph Hamers, CEO of
UBSGroup, said he advises his clients to be cautious when it comes to crypto.
- "We feel that crypto itself is still an untested asset category," he told Bloomberg.
- Hamers also said he does not worry about losing out on billionaire clients by not offering crypto.
Ralph Hamers, the CEO of Swiss Bank UBS Group, said when it comes to cryptocurrencies, he advises his clients with caution."We feel that crypto itself is still an untested asset category," the chief executive told Bloomberg on Tuesday. "We don't offer it actively."
View all Offers
- 75% OFF
OFIXO Multi-Purpose Laptop Table/Study Table/Bed Table/Foldable and Portable Wooden/Writing Desk (Wooden)₹ 492₹ 1999Buy On
- 17% OFF
Mi Smart Band 5 – India’s No. 1 Fitness Band, 1.1-inch AMOLED Color Display, Magnetic Charging, 2 Weeks Battery Life, Personal Activity Intelligence (PAI), Women’s Health Tracking₹ 2499₹ 2999Buy On
- 62% OFF
Boya BYM1 Omnidirectional Lavalier Condenser Microphone with 20ft Audio Cable (Black)₹ 749₹ 1995Buy On
- 50% OFF
Samsung EVO Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I 100MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MC64HA)₹ 649₹ 1300Buy On
- 41% OFF
Lenovo 300 Wired Plug & Play USB Mouse, High Resolution 1600 DPI Optical Sensor, 3-Button Design with clickable Scroll Wheel, Ambidextrous, Ergonomic Mouse for Comfortable All-Day Grip (GX30M39704)₹ 299₹ 506Buy On
"Clients are looking at different alternatives and they hear about crypto, and there is a bit of a fear of missing out," the Dutch CEO told Bloomberg. But "I never have FOMO. I'm determined as to what I want to do."Hamers, who replaced Sergio Ermotti in November 2020, also said he does not worry about losing out on billionaire clients who may want exposure to crypto.
"It's also about focus," he said, adding that he chooses to work on the strengths of his firm. "This is what we're known for. This is what we do for our clients, and that's what we have to continue."UBS has generally been less receptive towards digital assets compared to other banks. Earlier this year, Kiran Ganesh, managing director and multi-asset strategist at UBS Wealth Management, told Insider that he doesn't see how cryptocurrencies are "going to be useful in the world at any time."
But in the US, some of the major banks have already embraced cryptocurrencies. Goldman Sachs said it will trade non-deliverable forwards, and
- The Tokyo Olympics are a hive of NFT activity — from pins to moments to artwork
- Twitter is rolling out an update to make Twitter Spaces easier to share and discover
- Tencent and Alibaba Group have lost more than $100 billion in July as China cracked down on internet giants
- Cadbury Dairy Milk's next phase of 'heart the hate' campaign urges bystanders to stand up against cyberbullying by sharing a Purple Heart
- Coinbase, CoinDCX, WazirX and other crypto firms aren’t just looking for engineers but designers, social media wizards, and managers too