Defence ministry wants the private industry to take active part in defence equipment manufacturing
AdvertisementIn a first of its kind project, the
The list has recently been drawn up by the ministry in consultation with the three armed forces, and shares details ranging from the requirements in the coming years to the acquisition schedule, and all these things were kept secret earlier. They have found their way out because of defence minister
The projects that have been listed out include 125mm smooth bore gun barrel for battle tanks, targets for torpedo firing, advance pilot-less target aircraft, mine layers and diesel engines for naval boats. Other than listing out technical specifications of the equipment, the defence ministry has also specified their quantities so that it is easier for the industry to plan how much they should invest in the technology.
To state an example, the
"Interested Indian companies are requested to carry out preliminary assessment regarding their technical capability to undertake these projects and economic viability of the project," a ministry of defence concept note reads.
The project is being led by the department of defence production, and is attracting companies under the Make in India initiative. It has also said that it plans to hold an "interaction seminar shortly with interested companies so as to finalize the list and progress the proposals further".
Popular on BI
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet