3 US Navy sailors assigned to the USS George Washington found dead within a week
- Three soldiers assigned to the
USS George Washingtondied in less than a week, the Navytold CNN.
- Two were found dead off base, and a third was unresponsive on the ship and later died, the Navy said.
Three sailors on board the USS George Washington were found dead within a week, the US Navy told CNN.
The Navy confirmed the deaths and the timeline to CNN, but did not give a reason for the deaths.
Cmdr. Reann Mommsen, a Navy spokeswoman, told CNN: "While these incidents remain under investigation, there is no initial indication to suggest there is a correlation between these tragic events."
"Our thoughts and condolences are with the family, friends, and shipmates of our Sailors," he said.
Two sailors were found dead at off-base locations on April 9 and 10, and another was found unresponsive on the ship on Friday and later died, CNN reported.
The Navy identified the sailor who was found dead on April 9 as Retail Services Specialist 3rd Class Mikail Sharp, and the sailor found dead on April 10 as Interior Communications Electrician 3rd Class Natasha Huffman, CNN reported.
The third sailor was not identified, and it is not clear what day they died.
Naval Air Force Atlantic spokesman Michael Maus told the Navy Times that "The Sailor was treated by the medical team on board before being transported to Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News where the service member passed away."
"The incident is under investigation and the command continues to cooperate with [the Naval Criminal Investigative Service]."
The USS George Washington is a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. It is currently docked in Newport News, Virginia.
CNN reported that a special psychiatric rapid intervention team was brought onto the ship after the deaths. The Navy said that such a team is "provides short-term mental health support" to a team "after a traumatic event with the goal of preventing long-term psychiatric dysfunction and promoting maximum psychological readiness."
- Shimla stipulated 75 ponds Amrit Sarovar for water conservation to mark Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Mumbai breathes its cleanest air ever for the second time this monsoon
- Reliance Jio, Voda step up hiring as 5G related job postings up 65%
- Rupee gains 22 paise against the dollar as crude prices ease, FPIs come back
- Cabinet clears proposal to raise ECLGS corpus to Rs 5 lakh cr for tourism and hospitality sector