Rajnath Singh to address Parliament on India-China border row as tensions continue to simmer in Ladakh
- Defence Minister
Rajnath Singhis scheduled to address the Lok Sabha today on the border tensions between India and China.
- The development comes even as China is reportedly laying down fibre cable near
Pangong Tso lake, the latest hotspot between the two countries, for more secure communication.
Indian Army, on the other hand, still relies for radio communications.
At the Business Advisory Committee that met on Sunday, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi had said that the statement will be made keeping in mind the “sensitivities of the situation and the strategic points.”
The development comes as China is laying down fibre cable along the banks of Pangong Tso in Eastern Ladakh — the most recent hotspot after Galwan Valley, where both sides are locked in a stand-off — to bolster their communications ahead of winter setting in, according to Reuters.
AdvertisementFibre cable trumps radio communication
Fibre cable is a more secure form of communication than radio communications, which the Indian Army uses. It would allow frontline troops to communicate with their bases without being heard.
The radio communication that the Indian Army uses is encrypted — so not just anyone can tap into what is being said — but it does raise the likelihood of being intercepted. Officials told Reuters that the progress of laying down these fibre cables is happening at ‘breakneck speed’.
Just last week, Indian Foreign Minister S Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, having agreed on a 5-point plan to de-escalate tensions along their shared border on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meet in Moscow.
Singh also met with the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Bipin Rawat, National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval, and three Indian Army Service Chiefs. However, not much has changed along the 70-kilometer-long front that forms the southern banks of Pangong Tso. Officials told Reuters that there have been no significant withdrawals, nor have there been any additional reinforcement of troops.
The armies are currently situated along the ridges of the disputed border in the location known as the ‘Finger Area’. The Indian Army claims that it has dominated most of the heights with Chinese troops poised along Finger 4.
Sachin Tendulkar is now Paytm First Games’ brand ambassador – with a ₹300 crore marketing spend, the app aims to garner 100 million users during IPL
op stocks to watch— Future Retail, PVR, Central Bank, ICICI Bank, SpiceJet, Indiabulls Housing Finance and more
YouTube Shorts is the latest TikTok alternative, launched in beta in India
Popular on BI
- Better.com CEO accused hundreds of the 900 people he laid off on Zoom of 'stealing' by working only 2 hours daily
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Indian government is reportedly looking to regulate work from home with a comprehensive framework
- India's income inequality is so bad that's weighing down the avg in both South Asia and SouthEast Asia
- Meet the Indian-origin women CEOs who are leading the way for major global companies
- SuperRare NFT sells for more than $2 million — a 20,000-fold increase in value over three years
- Microsoft to skill 1 lakh Indians in cybersecurity by 2022
- Love procrastinating? It can help you earn Rs 1 lakh by applying for Chief Excuse Officer at Cultbike.fit