India is the first to convert a diesel locomotive to electric
- The Indian government has called it a historic move.
Diesel Locomotive Workshas converted two WDG3A Diesel Locos into a twin electric WAGC3 locomotive of 10,000 horsepower.
- The launch of the
electric locomotivecomes just days after PM Modi unveiled the Delhi-Varanasi Vande Bharat express.
AdvertisementIndia Prime Minister Narendra Modi today flagged off the first electric engine converted from diesel locomotive in Varanasi today, making India the world’s first country to achieve the same.
The new electric engine was a project undertaken by Diesel Locomotive Works based out of Varanasi.
The DLW converted two WDG3A Diesel Locos into a twin electric WAGC3 locomotive of 10,000 horsepower. According to official statements, the government has called it a ‘complete Make in India’ initiative which will result in less greenhouse gas emissions while also making way for better efficient locomotives.
This comes in just days after PM Modi unveiled the Delhi-Varanasi Vande Bharat express ‘Train 18’, which broke down on its first commercial run.
The project which started work on December 22, 2017 was reportedly completed in a record duration of 69 days.
In 2016, the Indian Railways had launched Mission Electrification on November 3, 2016.
As part of Mission Electrification, in the recent past 10 different electrification projects covering 2516 route kilometer at a cost of about Rs 2797 crores. have been finalized in a short duration, according to official statements.
In charts: How Indian Railways has cut the number of employees in the last decade
Indian Railways hooks up with ISRO satellites to live track trains
Indian railways comes up with AI enabled robot ‘USTAAD’ — designed to boost safety in trains
Popular on BI
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- Sensex, Nifty scale fresh record highs, rise for 4th day in a row
- Passenger vehicles record 11.3% growth in February 2024, two-wheelers record 35% growth
- CAA will be implemented before Lok Sabha polls, says Union Minister Shantanu Thakur
- Famous Shiva temples in India you can visit on this Maha Shivratri