One in five international students in the US is Indian — despite sharp fall in student visas
- Of the total 1.1 million international students, over 200,000 students in the US are from India, according to the latest Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange.
- This means that one in five international students studying in the higher education institutions in the United States is Indian.
- However, the number of student visas granted in 2018 stood at 42,694 — which fell by 40% in the last four years.
- Most of the Indians enrolled in Mathematics and Computer Science domain at 37%.
Of the total 1.1 million international students, over 200,000 are from India, according to the latest Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange. The number increased by 3% as compared to that of 2017-18 academic session.
This number has withstood the onslaught on student visas to Indians. In 2018 as many as 42,694 visas were extended — which fell by 40%, according to a US State department.
As STEM education gains popularity, maximum Indians chose to study Mathematics and Computer Science. They constitute 37% of the total students studying in the US. It is closely followed by the ever-popular engineering course, at nearly 32%.
“The opportunity for STEM students to work in the US for 36 months after graduation has resulted in a palpable increase in the numbers currently pursuing optional training programmes. There is a growing trend in US institutions to collaborate with current students and alumni to build recruitment pipelines,with India being a preferred destination. These could be some of the reasons for the increase in enrollment," Swetha Muthanna, Director, Yashna Trust-Education told the Times of India.
Other popular courses among
After H1-B visa fee hike, American citizenship costs might be doubled soon
H-1B visa rejection rates rise sharply — 30% of Cognizant, Capgemini, Accenture, Wipro and Infosys applications denied
India’s millionaires are fleeing from homeland -- and these are the countries where they are headed
Popular on BI
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high