Six IITs drop in THE Asia rankings 2020 - IIT Kanpur drops out of the top 100 universities
- Six of the elite Indian institutes of Technology (IITs) — including Indore, Bombay, Roorkee, Kanpur, Hyderabad and Madras campuses — have seen a decline in their rankings, according to Times Higher Education (THE).
- This may be attributed to the downward trend in the citation scores and stagnation when it comes to internationalisation.
- However, the list editors believe that the drop in the score may also be because of the increase in the number of institutions qualifying to feature in the global rankings.
As many as six of the elite Indian institutes of Technology (IITs) — including Indore, Bombay, Roorkee, Kanpur, Hyderabad and Madras campuses — have seen a decline in their rankings. While the regional competition has significantly increased.
|Indian Institutes of Technology||2020 rank||Drop from last year|
|IIT Indore||55||5 positions|
|IIT Bombay||69||15 positions|
|IIT Roorkee||83||29 positions|
|IIT Kanpur||125||43 positions|
|IIT Hyderabad||149||14 positions|
|IIT Madras||125||5 positions|
This may be attributed to the downward trend in the citation scores and stagnation when it comes to internationalisation.
According to THE, while many IITs are improving across teaching, research and industry metrics, only IIT Roorkee and Delhi improved in terms of their research influence and citations. And, IIT Bombay and Madras improved on the international outlook parameter. This includes the count of international students, staff and research collaborations.
However, the list editors believe that the drop in the score may also be because of the increase in the number of institutions qualifying to feature in the global rankings. As many as 72 new universities are ranked this year — taking the total count to 489 universities in Asia. That is a 17% increase compared to last year.
“This decline comes despite four Indian institutions improving on their overall 2019 rankings score, suggesting the negative movement is down to the increased number of qualifying universities from across Asia,” THE said.
Meanwhile, six IITs ranked in Asia's top 100 universities list this year. These include Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar, IIT Indore, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay and IIT Roorkee.
IIT Bombay, Kharagpur, Roorkee and Kanpur students will not have to sit for final year exams
Digital skills that experts believe you need to survive the current job crisis
Popular on BI
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
- Maruti Suzuki cars will get costlier from January 2023
- Paytm’s optimistic growth projections boost sentiments, shares climb nearly 8%
- India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
- Personal loans fintech platform KreditBee raises $80 million in Series-D investment round
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World