8 Indian universities feature in THE Asia Rankings top 100 list — and it's not just IITs
- According to the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia Rankings, eight Indian institutions have been ranked in the top 100 list this year.
- These include Indian Institute of Science (IISc), IIT Ropar, IIT Indore, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT).
- India is the third most represented country on the Asian university ranking list behind Japan and China.
- These institutions, including the IITs, have been performing and improving across parameters like teaching, research, and industry metrics.
These include Indian Institute of Science (IISc), IIT Ropar, IIT Indore, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT).
“Both regionally and globally, it is clear that India’s higher education system has a lot to shout about. The positive improvements seen by some of India’s older institutions in this year’s THE Asia Rankings should be embraced, a positive story that demonstrates a continued and growing ability to compete among the world’s very best,” said Phil Baty, Chief Knowledge Officer, THE.
|Indian Institutions in top 100||2020 rank||2019 rank|
|Indian Institute of Science||36||29|
|IIT Ropar||47||New entrant|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||92||New entrant|
India is the third most represented country on the Asian university ranking list behind Japan and China. As many as 56 Indian institutions featured in the THE Asia rankings this year. The feat comes despite the fact that 72 new universities qualified to feature in the THE Rankings — taking the total count to 489 universities in Asia. That is a 17% increase compared to last year.
“To see so many Indian universities come forward to participate is fantastic to see and, in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, more important than ever to ensure that India’s great institutions remain visible, and continue to compete, on the global stage,” Baty added.
These institutions, including the IITs, have been performing and improving across parameters like teaching, research, and industry metrics. In fact, IIT Ropar has been a new entrant in the top 100 institutions with a strong citation score. That includes its contribution to the medical journal The Lancet’s Global Burden of Disease Study.
Globally, Tsinghua University and Peking University in China and National University of Singapore are the top performing institutions in THE Asia Rankings in 2020.
IIT Bombay, Kharagpur, Roorkee and Kanpur students will not have to sit for final year exams
Digital skills that experts believe you need to survive the current job crisis
Popular on BI
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- US economy expands 2.9 per cent in December quarter
- Air India's progress has been 'nothing short of stunning': CEO Campbell Wilson
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a positive note amid positive global cues: Adani Enterprises, Tata Motors, Bajaj Finance among stocks in focus
- 86-year-old removes ‘retirement’ from his dictionary to become a startup founder
- Two Indian-born mathematicians US, Canada get Padma awards