8 Indian universities feature in THE Asia Rankings top 100 list — and it's not just IITs
- According to the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia Rankings, eight Indian institutions have been ranked in the top 100 list this year.
- These include Indian Institute of Science (IISc), IIT Ropar, IIT Indore, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT).
- India is the third most represented country on the Asian university ranking list behind Japan and China.
- These institutions, including the IITs, have been performing and improving across parameters like teaching, research, and industry metrics.
These include Indian Institute of Science (IISc), IIT Ropar, IIT Indore, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT).
“Both regionally and globally, it is clear that India’s higher education system has a lot to shout about. The positive improvements seen by some of India’s older institutions in this year’s THE Asia Rankings should be embraced, a positive story that demonstrates a continued and growing ability to compete among the world’s very best,” said Phil Baty, Chief Knowledge Officer, THE.
|Indian Institutions in top 100||2020 rank||2019 rank|
|Indian Institute of Science||36||29|
|IIT Ropar||47||New entrant|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||92||New entrant|
India is the third most represented country on the Asian university ranking list behind Japan and China. As many as 56 Indian institutions featured in the THE Asia rankings this year. The feat comes despite the fact that 72 new universities qualified to feature in the THE Rankings — taking the total count to 489 universities in Asia. That is a 17% increase compared to last year.
“To see so many Indian universities come forward to participate is fantastic to see and, in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, more important than ever to ensure that India’s great institutions remain visible, and continue to compete, on the global stage,” Baty added.
These institutions, including the IITs, have been performing and improving across parameters like teaching, research, and industry metrics. In fact, IIT Ropar has been a new entrant in the top 100 institutions with a strong citation score. That includes its contribution to the medical journal The Lancet’s Global Burden of Disease Study.
Globally, Tsinghua University and Peking University in China and National University of Singapore are the top performing institutions in THE Asia Rankings in 2020.
IIT Bombay, Kharagpur, Roorkee and Kanpur students will not have to sit for final year exams
Digital skills that experts believe you need to survive the current job crisis
Popular on BI
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days