India will start skilling its youth starting from those who are ten years old
Smriti Irani, Minister for Women and Child Development along with 30 participating organisations launched ‘ YuWaah’ — Generation Unlimited’ — to train youth between 10 and 24 years of age.
- The initiative supported by
UNICEF, aims to engage over 300 million youngsters in education, skill training or employment over the next decade.
- In 2018, UNICEF initiated the Generation Unlimited partnership, globally. India is one of the first countries to partner with the initiative.
The initiative is supported by UNICEF. It aims to engage over 300 million youngsters in education, skills training or employment over the next decade.
“The government is determined to make YuWaah a transformational alliance that brings a national step change in preparing young people for the transition from education to 21st century work,” Irani said at the launch.
India is in dire need of skills training as its efforts have to be intensified by ten fold. Skilling needs to be much more aspirational, KP Krishnan, Secretary, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship said.
In 2018, UNICEF initiated the Generation Unlimited partnership globally. “An engineering degree has a validity of 18 months to 5 years. Hence, the youth today should learn agility — learn, unlearn and relearn. Soft skills — creativity, teamwork, growth mindset — are the future. This can only be learnt experientially, said Ravi Venkatesan, UNICEF representative.
The programme is focused to create economic opportunities for 100 million youth through job matching and entrepreneurship.
Soft skills can save your job from the machines but young professionals are severely short of it
Only one in five people trained under government's Skill India Mission found jobs
Popular on BI
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet