Elon Musk: It's an 'open secret' that Apple is building an electric car
"It's quite hard to do, but I think companies like Apple will probably make a compelling electric car. It seems like the obvious thing to do," Musk said during the interview. "It's pretty hard to hide something if you hire over 1,000 engineers to do it."
When pressed if he thinks Apple's serious about building its own car, Musk said, "Yeah, I do. This is an open secret."
Apple has been rumored to be working on an electric, and perhaps a self-driving, vehicle over the past year. It's been reported that Apple hired thousands of engineers to work on a secretive car project, internally called Project Titan.
In fact, just last week, Apple was found to have bought a bunch of web addresses related to cars, including and
This isn't the first time Musk hinted at a possible competition with Apple in the electric car space. In October, he jokingly said that Apple only hires people fired by Tesla, acknowledging the iPhone giant may indeed be preparing to get in to the auto space.
"We always jokingly call Apple the 'Tesla Graveyard.' If you don't make it at Tesla, you go work at Apple. I'm not kidding," he said.
- 7 Must visit temples in Andhra Pradesh
- Fuel your brain: 7 Foods to enhance mental sharpness during exam time
- I'm still the CEO, management remains unchanged: Byju Raveendran
- As many as 275 cases of rape in custody registered from 2017-22: NCRB
- Monthly household consumer spending more than doubled in last decade