Elon Musk: It's an 'open secret' that Apple is building an electric car
"It's quite hard to do, but I think companies like Apple will probably make a compelling electric car. It seems like the obvious thing to do," Musk said during the interview. "It's pretty hard to hide something if you hire over 1,000 engineers to do it."
When pressed if he thinks Apple's serious about building its own car, Musk said, "Yeah, I do. This is an open secret."
Apple has been rumored to be working on an electric, and perhaps a self-driving, vehicle over the past year. It's been reported that Apple hired thousands of engineers to work on a secretive car project, internally called Project Titan.
In fact, just last week, Apple was found to have bought a bunch of web addresses related to cars, including apple.car and apple.auto.
This isn't the first time Musk hinted at a possible competition with Apple in the electric car space. In October, he jokingly said that Apple only hires people fired by Tesla, acknowledging the iPhone giant may indeed be preparing to get in to the auto space.
"We always jokingly call Apple the 'Tesla Graveyard.' If you don't make it at Tesla, you go work at Apple. I'm not kidding," he said.
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala