Bernie Sanders reacts to inauguration memes: 'I was just trying to stay warm'
- Sen. Bernie Sanders has responded to the memes made of him at President Joe Biden's inauguration.
- Images of him bundled up in a coat and wool mittens have been inserted into innumerable scenarios.
- Sanders told the "Late Night" host Seth Meyers he was just "trying to keep warm."
Sanders was appearing on NBC's "Late Night with Seth Meyers" when the show's eponymous host couldn't help bringing up the subject of the many memes that spawned from his grumpy-seeming appearance at the inauguration.
"I was just sitting there trying to keep warm, trying to pay attention to what was going on," Sanders said.
Seth Meyers showed Sanders a couple of the memes, including one with the senator seated next to the "Sex and the City" cast and one with him next to Forrest Gump on the famous bench. Meyers joked that he didn't think Sanders would put up with Gump for all that long and would probably walk away from him.
The memes have become so popular that somebody even went to the lengths of creating a website where users can place the photo of Sanders anywhere in the world using Google Maps.
Sanders also spoke about his now-famous mittens, which were made in part from old sweaters and which the internet has since fallen in love with.
"What was really nice, Seth, is that the woman who made the mittens lives in Essex Junction, Vermont, she is a schoolteacher and a very, very nice person, and she has been somewhat overwhelmed by the kind of attention that is being shown to her mittens," Sanders said.
Another meme spawning from Sanders on Inauguration Day came from a photo of Sanders holding a manila envelope. A Twitter user joked that the envelope contained the script for "Knives Out 2," tweeting the writer and director Rian Johnson, who didn't miss the chance to get in on the fun.
"Gave it to him like 3 weeks ago and still waiting on notes wtf," Johnson tweeted.
—Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) January 20, 2021
The contents of the folder may forever remain a mystery, however. Meyers asked the senator what was in the envelope, and Sanders said: "I'd love to tell you, Seth. Top secret."
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Fresh threats to Mukesh Ambani and family, Reliance Foundation hospital
- Will consider Kerala govt proposal for World Peace Conference: Nobel Peace Centre
- Seven dead, several others feared missing following flash floods in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district
- OPEC+ to cut oil output by 2 million bpd from November
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World