George Clooney finally tells the story of how he once gave each of his 14 best friends a suitcase filled with $1 million
- Three years after one of
George Clooney's longtime friendsdescribed how the actor once gave away $14 million at a dinner party, Clooney is telling his side of the tale.
- In a new profile by GQ, Clooney said the idea came to him at about the time "Gravity" came out.
- He wasn't married at the time but wanted to give something back to his closest friends.
- "I thought, what I do have are these guys who've all, over a period of 35 years, helped me in one way or another," Clooney told GQ. "I've slept on their couches when I was broke. They loaned me money when I was broke."
- Clooney drove an old florist's van to a building in Los Angeles where he was able to get $14 million in cash and load it into suitcases.
The Hollywood star George Clooney has finally revealed the backstory behind the memorable surprise gift of $1 million in cash he was previously said to have given 14 of his best friends.
Back in 2017, one of the actor's longtime pals, Rande Gerber, told MSNBC that Clooney had invited his closest friends over for dinner one night only to surprise them each with a suitcase full of cash. Now, in a new profile with GQ, Clooney recounted the full tale from his point of view for the first time.
The great cash-gifting day happened in September 2013, Clooney said, right before his film "Gravity" premiered. The movie wound up being a "very good deal" for Clooney, he said, because he was paid based on percentages of box-office revenue, as was his costar Sandra Bullock. The actor had already met his future wife, Amal Alamuddin, but the two weren't dating. He had no immediate family to dote upon.
"And I thought, what I do have are these guys who've all, over a period of 35 years, helped me in one way or another," Clooney told GQ. "I've slept on their couches when I was broke. They loaned me money when I was broke. They helped me when I needed help over the years. And I've helped them over the years."
"We're all good friends," Clooney continued. "And I thought, you know, without them I don't have any of this. And we're all really close, and I just thought basically if I get hit by a bus, they're all in the will. So why the f--- am I waiting to get hit by a bus?"
Clooney came up with the suitcase-of-cash idea, but then he needed to figure out how to get $14 million in cash all at once. According to GQ, Clooney's research led him to "an undisclosed location" in Los Angeles where pallets of cash are held for sale.
"So Clooney got an old beat-up van that said 'Florist' on it, like he was in a heist movie, and he drove downtown, and he got in an elevator with the florist's van, and he took the van down to the vault and loaded it up with cash," the GQ reporter Zach Baron wrote in the profile. "He told no one but his assistant 'and a couple of security guys that were shitting themselves.'"
According to Clooney's friend Gerber, this group of friends refers to itself as simply "The Guys." The actor called up each of them and announced a dinner party at his house. When they arrived, there were 14 Tumi luggage bags waiting.
Clooney gave a speech about how much they had meant to him and said he wanted to give back.
"We open it up, and it's $1 million in $20 bills," Gerber told MSNBC. "Every one of us — 14 of us — got a million dollars. Every single one of us. We were in shock. Like, 'What is this?'"
As Clooney recounted the story to GQ, he noted the "fun" importance of the day he gave away the $14 million. Almost exactly one year later, on September 27, 2014, Clooney married Amal.
"That's good karma right there," Gerber said, referring to the coincidental date.
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?