Netflix's new Korean survival show features female cops, firefighters, and soldiers duking it out on a remote island
- Netflix released an official trailer for 'Siren: Survive the Island' on May 16.
- Slated to premiere on May 30, 'Siren' is a Korean survival show featuring an all-women cast.
Following the huge success of "Physical: 100," Netflix recently released an official trailer for their upcoming new Korean survival show "Siren: Survive the Island."
The show features an all-female cast of 24 contestants, all of whom are the top dogs of male-dominated fields — including police officers, firefighters, bodyguards, soldiers, athletes, and stunt actors, per Netflix.
Slated to premiere on May 30, Netflix teased the survival show in an official trailer posted on YouTube on May 16.
The teaser shows the contestants covered in sweat and mud in a series of intensive challenges. They battle it out in six teams — grouped according to their occupation — on an unknown island.
The name "Siren" was picked for its double meaning, referring to both an air-raid alarm and the "dangerous women" in Greek mythology who lured sailors to their death with enchanting songs, said producer Lee Eun-kyung in a press conference on Wednesday, per South Korean news JTBC.
"I never wanted to hear the phrase 'their doing great for women,'" said Lee in the press conference, per JTBC.
"They are not women, but contestants who came forward to represent firefighters, police officers, and soldiers," the producer added, per JTBC.
Producer Lee wanted to create a show that spotlights the successful women of these male-dominated spaces, per JTBC.
"When I say I used to work as a bodyguard, there are people who think 'Do women also do such jobs?' I'm pleased that I can have a chance to proudly represent my profession," said the bodyguard team leader Lee Soo ryun, per The Korea Times.
"Siren: Survive the Island" is slated to be released on Netflix on Tuesday.
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May