'Proud Family: Louder and Prouder' creators say Keke Palmer called them and 'gangstered' her way into a role
- "The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder" season two premieres Wednesday on Disney+.
- The creators told Insider that Keke Palmer called them up and insisted on a role in the show.
"The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder" creators said that Keke Palmer called them up and insisted that she have a role in the show.
Ahead of the first season, "The Proud Family" creators Bruce W. Smith and Ralph Farquhar told Insider that many stars reached out for roles in the series.
In a new interview with Insider, ahead of the show's season two premiere Wednesday, Smith and Farquhar said that Palmer also reached out as soon as she heard the announcement about the revival. The "Nope" star has a significant role in the series as Maya Leibowitz-Jenkins, a new neighbor and friend of the main character, Penny Proud.
"Keke called me up when she read the announcement and said, 'No way are you doing this show without me,'" Farquhar said in an interview. "So we had to."
Smith added: "She gangstered her way in. I forget about the origins of our new cast and how they just insisted that they were in the show. They just willed their way into the show"
Farquhar added that Chance the Rapper, who is a guest star in the upcoming season, also called him for a role in the series.
Smith said the interest from celebrities is a "litmus test" for the creators to see how popular their series is.
Last year, Smith and Farquhar told Insider that stars like Cardi B and Saweetie reached out to try and get a role in the series, but they ended up having more people reach out than they could actually accommodate in the show.
"Remember when Cardi B called us?" Smith said. "We couldn't work it in her schedule. Saweetie reached out to us via the hood. There's hood reps as well who will contact me and say, 'Hey man, this is Saweetie's people.' They said, 'Call if you wanna her to be on the show?'"
Season two of "The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder," which premieres on Wednesday on Disney+, will also include guest stars Normani, Leslie Odom Jr., and Gabrielle Union.
- Sony PlayStation 5 gaming console will get a ₹5000 discount in India starting April — the best time to grab it
- Apple's latest patent reveals an under-display tech for biometrics and gesture control in iPhones and Apple Watch, but we won’t see it on iPhone 15
- First Citizens Bank reaches deal to purchase deposits, loans of Silicon Valley Bank
- Opportunity must be given to borrowers before banks declare their account as fraud: SC
- Global financial stability at risk from banking turmoil: IMF chief