SRK’s Pathaan sets a new record — over ₹200 crore collections in two days
- Despite releasing mid-week on a non-holiday,
Pathaangrossed ₹106 crore in worldwide box office collections on its first day.
- Pathaan is the best opening that an SRK movie has ever seen, says YRF.
- YRF added new shows at midnight to meet the unprecedented demand, said trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
- SRK shared that Pathaan led to the reopening of 25 single screens in India.
AdvertisementOver the last few years, many Indian movies have set new box office collection records like ₹1,000 crore earnings and more. But Shah Rukh Khan’s
Despite releasing mid-week on a non-holiday, the film grossed ₹106 crore in worldwide box office collections on its first day itself, the highest ever for a Hindi film. Moreover, the film's worldwide collection on day two reached ₹219.6 crore, the makers announced on Thursday.
“The theatrical business is here to stay, provided we make films that entice people to come to the cinemas to witness a never seen before experience that entertains them thoroughly,” said Akshaye Widhani, CEO of Yash Raj Films.
YRF also shared that the film minted ₹55 crore nett in India, which is the highest collection for a Hindi film. Overall, the film’s first-day collection stood at ₹57 crore, with ₹2 crore attributed to dubbed versions. The film's nett day two collection (domestic market) stood at ₹70.5 crore - with ₹68 crore amassed in Hindi, and dubbed formats bringing in additional ₹2.5 crore. It's the first Hindi film to breach the ₹70 crore nett collection on a single day.
The film, which was released on January 25, 2023 in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu, is a spy thriller. Along with Khan, it stars Deepika Padukone and John Abraham in pivotal roles and is directed by Siddharth Anand. Needless to say, it’s a record for all the other top actors as well.
New midnight shows added
Pathaan has been shattering records even before its release - with an advance booking at national chains (PVR, INOX, and Cinepoli) of 3.9 lakh tickets for the opening day itself, reported trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
Khan, who has made a comeback to the silver screens after four years, too shared that Pathaan led to the reopening of as many as 25 single screens across India.
Ever since its release, social media has been flooded with videos of excited fans rejoicing in theatres, and YRF added new shows at midnight to meet the unprecedented demand, reported Adarsh.
The film, which falls under Anand’s YRF spy universe, has also recorded the widest Hindi release of all time in India. It’s also the third YRF Film to cross ₹50 crore in net box office collections on the first day. The other two films were Hrithik Roshan starrer War (₹53.35 crore) and Aamir Khan starrer Thugs of Hindostan (₹52.25 crore).
AdvertisementFor Pathaan, multiplex chain INOX Cinemas also observed a housefull show in Kashmir after 32 years. According to YRF, "Pathaan" has broken some 21 box office records.
“Pathaan is the fourth film of our YRF Spy Universe and we are thrilled that we have been able to elevate the cinematic experience of audiences with each film from this franchise. We humbly share this moment with all the stake-holders of the film who have given their blood, sweat and tears to give people a movie-going experience like never before,” shared Widhani.
In 2022, the Indian film industry recorded a gross box-office collection of ₹10,637 crore, according to a GroupM-Ormax Media report. But the majority of collections came from non-Hindi films. The report stated that Hindi and Hollywood movies underperformed in 2022 and 32% of Hindi box office collections actually came from dubbed versions of South films like K.G.F: Chapter 2, RRR, Kantara, etc.
(With inputs from PTI)
Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a positive note amid positive global cues: Adani Enterprises, Tata Motors, Bajaj Finance among stocks in focus
Avatar 2 surpasses Avengers: Infinity War to become the fifth-biggest grosser ever
Popular on BI
- A millennial who became a millionaire after the 2008 crash says building wealth is about more than opportunistic investing. You also have to make lifestyle changes and load up on side hustles.
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- Learning AI can be lucrative: Freshers’ annual pay is ₹10-14 lakh in India, says TeamLease Digital report
- CoCo bonds fall sharply over Credit Suisse deal
- Date night conversations to diet charts – 10 things ChatGPT can help you with
- Gold is bankable, shines more than some western banks say experts
- Fear of financial crisis is keeping investors away from stock markets say experts