Steven Yeun and Michaela Coel were shut out at the Golden Globes, but the SAG Awards just vindicated them
- The Golden Globes didn't nominate Steven Yeun or Michaela Coel and their respective projects.
- Many believe "Minari" and "I May Destroy You" are some of the best works of the year.
- But nominations for the SAG Awards just vindicated both performers, as both received nods.
Both Steven Yeun and Michaela Coel were snubbed by the Golden Globe nominations on Wednesday, but the Screen Actors Guild Awards have helped right that wrong by nominating both actors and their respective projects.
The SAG Awards just nominated Steven Yeun for best actor. They also nominated his costar, Youn Yuh-jung, for best supporting actress, and "Minari" got a nod in the best ensemble category, too - the SAG equivalent of best picture.
Meanwhile, Michaela Coel was nominated for best actress in a TV movie or limited series.
Fans were left dismayed on Wednesday when Michaela Coel and her TV show "I May Not Destroy You" were left out of all Golden Globe categories on Wednesday. Many called out the decision and lamented the fact that shows such as "Emily in Paris" were nominated, but not the critically acclaimed "I May Not Destroy You."
—Chloe Amelia Turner (@ChloeTurner79) February 4, 2021
Steven Yeun wasn't nominated at the Globes either, while a much-maligned Golden Globes rule meant that "Minari" was ineligible for a best picture drama nomination. Because 70% of "Minari" was spoken in Korean, the film was classified as a foreign language film and not allowed to be nominated for best picture drama.
Many argued that "Minari" - which is American-produced, directed by Denver-born filmmaker Lee Isaac Chung, and explores very American themes - is one of the most American movies of the year. The ruling felt especially unjust considering 70% of the Quentin Tarantino movie "Inglourious Basterds," which was nominated for best drama at the Globes in 2009, is spoken in languages other than English.
—Lulu Wang (@thumbelulu) December 23, 2020
These SAG Awards nominations aren't a total surprise. Michaela Coel has plenty of celebrity supporters of her work, including many actors who make up SAG voters.
The team behind "Minari," meanwhile, should be looking ahead to the Oscars. While the Golden Globes aren't always the most reliable predictor of Oscar nominees and winners, the SAG Awards definitely are. This is good news for Lee Isaac Chung's movie and gives both Yeun and Youn excellent chances at nabbing their first Oscar nominations, while "Minari" is now in a great position to land a best picture nomination.
- SBI report deciphers India's GDP surge and economic projections
- Google begins to enforce Play Store policies in India, to remove non-compliant apps
- Sensex jumps more than 1,000 points on impressive GDP numbers
- Fuel price surge: Oil companies spike commercial LPG rates, impacting metro consumers
- Realme 12+ 5G with Dimensity 7050 chipset to launch in India on March 6