Tanhaji wins the third weekend battle too — as Street Dancer 3D and Panga fail to put up a fight
- Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior has crushed the box office records ever since its release on January 10, with a whopping ₹224 crore collection in three weeks.
Tanhajiis dominating the box office primarily because there are no films to compete against it.
- Republic Day also gave a big boost to Tanhaji’s huge growth on its third Sunday — with trade analyst suggesting earnings going up by ₹15 crore.
The movie which is still running to packed houses, earned ₹5.4 crore on January 24 and ₹9.5 crore on January 25. The film is on the path to become the biggest blockbuster for
Kajol, who also features in the film, took to instagram to express her excitement about Tanhaji’s success. She is now waiting for the box office collection to cross ₹250.
“The collections are lopsided and it's rare for films that are lopsided to become a blockbuster but Maharashtra is simply insane at all its centres,” said Boxofficeindia.
The patriotic movie was declared tax-free in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana after it entered the ₹100 crore club.
Tough competition to Street Dancer 3D and Panga
Tanhaji also owes its success to little competition from new releases. Remo D’Souza’s Street Dancer 3D, released on January 24, failed to woo the audiences. The film received poor reviews — for being ‘boring’.
“Street Dancer 3D Review: Just Watch TikTok Instead,'' wrote Ankur Pathak from HuffPost India. But Street Dancer 3D isn’t the only disappointment as Panga featuring Kangana Ranaut too minted a mere ₹12 crore on its opening weekend.
Tanhaji also beat Deepika Padukone’s
The winning formula of patriotism
AdvertisementThe Republic Day weekend also gave a big boost to Tanhaji’s footfalls on its third Sunday. For the weekend, it might have earned as much as ₹15 crore, say analysts. According to s enior trade analyst Taran Adarsh, the historical plot of the film clubbed with brilliant performances aided its remarkable run.
Patriotism has become a superhit formula for Bollywood. In 2019,
Aditya Dhar, director of Uri, believes that patriotic fervour played a big role in its success. “As long as it's a patriotic film and as long as the story is great, it will work,” he told BBC.
Another patriotic film that won the hearts of the audience was Mission Mangal featuring Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha. The fictional film is based on India’s ambition mission to Mars, and earned ₹209 crore.
PVR and Inox are all set to rise ticket prices — but for the first time in 2 years
AdvertisementWeekend Watchlist: The top shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services
Popular on BI
- Vedanta partners with IIT-B to develop green steel technology
- Balaji Speciality Chemicals files draft papers for IPO
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority invests ₹665 crore in Aditya Birla Health Insurance
- Jio vs Airtel: Which one will offer faster and more reliable 5G services?
- Investing in the times of uncertainty