Tanhaji wins the third weekend battle too — as Street Dancer 3D and Panga fail to put up a fight
Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior has crushed the box office records ever since its release on January 10, with a whopping ₹224 crore collection in three weeks.
- Tanhaji is dominating the box office primarily because there are no films to compete against it.
- Republic Day also gave a big boost to Tanhaji’s huge growth on its third Sunday — with trade analyst suggesting earnings going up by ₹15 crore.
The movie which is still running to packed houses, earned ₹5.4 crore on January 24 and ₹9.5 crore on January 25. The film is on the path to become the biggest blockbuster for Ajay Devgn, beating his comic caper hit, Golmaal Again.
“The collections are lopsided and it's rare for films that are lopsided to become a blockbuster but Maharashtra is simply insane at all its centres,” said Boxofficeindia.
The patriotic movie was declared tax-free in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana after it entered the ₹100 crore club.
Tough competition to Street Dancer 3D and Panga
Tanhaji also owes its success to little competition from new releases. Remo D’Souza’s Street Dancer 3D, released on January 24, failed to woo the audiences. The film received poor reviews — for being ‘boring’.
“Street Dancer 3D Review: Just Watch TikTok Instead,'' wrote Ankur Pathak from HuffPost India. But Street Dancer 3D isn’t the only disappointment as Panga featuring Kangana Ranaut too minted a mere ₹12 crore on its opening weekend.
Tanhaji also beat Deepika Padukone’s
The winning formula of patriotism
AdvertisementThe Republic Day weekend also gave a big boost to Tanhaji’s footfalls on its third Sunday. For the weekend, it might have earned as much as ₹15 crore, say analysts. According to senior trade analyst Taran Adarsh, the historical plot of the film clubbed with brilliant performances aided its remarkable run.
Patriotism has become a superhit formula for Bollywood. In 2019,
Aditya Dhar, director of Uri, believes that patriotic fervour played a big role in its success. “As long as it's a patriotic film and as long as the story is great, it will work,” he told BBC.
Another patriotic film that won the hearts of the audience was Mission Mangal featuring Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha. The fictional film is based on India’s ambition mission to Mars, and earned ₹209 crore.
PVR and Inox are all set to rise ticket prices — but for the first time in 2 years
AdvertisementWeekend Watchlist: The top shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services
Popular on BI
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns