Exclusive: App relied on by investors shows that PayTM clearly lead the e-wallets pack in December 2016
The biggest benefactors of the entire cash ban episode have undoubtedly been the e-wallet companies. From the fateful night of Nov 8, 2016, each of the country’s e-wallets has claimed an exponential increase in registrations, however, the figures have now come to be heavily contested by each other. The rivalry has now gained epic proportions with the largest now publicly claiming the other’s numbers as inflated.
The strongest voice, in this case, has emerged from MobiKwik’s co-founder, Upasana Taka, claiming that basis RBI’s data,
ALSO READ: The most popular parts of Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru where people invested in real estate in 2016
On the other hand, PayTM had claimed that it crossed 177 Mn wallet users in the month of December 2016, with 80 mn active users translating to at least 80 Mn transactions.
Given the war of words, we decided to dig a little deeper and approached a third party organization that most e-wallets and their investors rely on as a measure of business growth.
ALSO READ: Meet N. Chandrasekaran, Tata Sons new chairman, and Ex-TCS boss
This is what the
• Paytm App downloads touched 7.2Mn in December 2016
• Monthly active user-base jumped to 92 Mn in December from 78 Mn in November
• App downloads touched 2.1 Mn in December 2016
• Freecharge’s Monthly active users were at 29 Mn in December 2016
• App downloads touched 1.1 Mn in December 2016
• Mobikwik’s monthly user base was at 15Mn in December 2016
Commenting on this, Mrs.
ALSO READ: Freecharge integrates with Indus OS to increase 30% user base in the next 6 months
When asked to share their own analytical data, Mobikwik spokesperson said that they don’t use any for comparison.
Paytm refused to give comments on the different data points.
All we can say is this space will definitely heat up further, a space that investors will closely be watching out before they put their money where the mouth is.
- Activate DND on Jio, Airtel or Vodafone Idea to put a stop to spam — Here’s how
- India-China border standoff reaches Lieutenant-General level military negotiation
- Digital skills that experts believe you need to survive the current job crisis
- Liquor in Rajasthan set to get more expensive as the government increases surcharge from ₹1.5 to ₹30
- South Korea reports 49 new cases of COVID-19