Exclusive: Here’s what Google VP Rajan Anandan said about Jio’s Impact on the Telecom Sector
You can only imagine how a work day for
“India is the biggest market for us and it has a very diverse user base. We are always going to have a clear distinction between India and the US for the next several years,” says Anandan on where India stands for Google.
India currently has around 400 million internet users, 300 million of them are coming online through their smartphone which makes it the second largest internet market in the world after China.
ALSO READ: Flipkart raises its biggest round at a lesser valuation and acquires eBay but is it enough to steer off Amazon?
In the past few months, a lot of things have changed in the internet landscape with low-cost carrier
The first challenge for Google is Access and they’ve tackled that with providing high-speed public Wi-Fi at railway stations and after covering 110 stations, we now have 5 million Indians accessing it every day. With 500, 000 Indians accessing the internet with Google India for the first time, the company plans to extend it to 400 stations by the year 2018.
ALSO READ: Exclusive: Ace Angel Investor Sanjay Mehta’s true-life experiences that make his investments in startups fool-proof
With revolutionary projects like Smart Cities, Google is partnering with the government at
The other concerns are connectivity and affordability and while currently, there at 125 million 4G subscribers and 150 million 3G subscribers, there are still issues like patchy connectivity.
Google is trying to get a lot of its services like
ALSO READ: Read what Rohit Bansal and Kunal Bahl mailed Snapdeal employees amidst Flipkart acquisition speculations
“Google is building new products like recently released YouTube Go which are specifically designed for Indians. With only 15 million women villagers online, we are working to bridge the gap with Google Sathi where women teach other how to use the internet for the betterment of their lives,”
The next milestone for this technology behemoth is reaching half of India's villages with
Popular on BI
- A top AI researcher reportedly left Google for OpenAI after sharing concerns the company was training Bard on ChatGPT data
- An AI researcher who has been warning about the technology for over 20 years says we should 'shut it all down,' and issue an 'indefinite and worldwide' ban
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- Amul hikes milk price by ₹2/ltr in Gujarat
- GST mop-up rises 13% to ₹1.6 lakh crore in March, second highest collection ever
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge