Exclusive: Vani Kola, MD, Kalaari Capital talks about Her Big Bets and Consolidation in the E-commerce Sector
Genuinely been helped by a lot of people, when Kola successfully sold her company, she didn’t want to stop working. Kola left India in 1985 and felt that the country has completely transformed by the time she left so she decided to see if her home still gave her inspiration. It did.
Homecoming and How
She came back home to India for a month in 2006 to try and reconnect back to her roots and also figure out her next move. After traveling across the country, she decided that she wanted to help the entrepreneurs that never got the kind of exposure that she had been lucky to receive.
One of the first movers in E-commerce space, the Venture fund has invested in companies such as Via, Myntra, Holachef, Zivame, and even Snapdeal.
First Mover's Outsider Perspective
Crediting her outsider’s perspective for betting on start-ups that have blown up, Kola says that her investments are based on calculated futuristic trends that will be mainstream ten years from now. Armed with more than $65 million, she has invested in 60 plus start-ups and growing.
Commenting on the volatile e-commerce sector and the recent markdowns and firings, Kola thinks that while the companies might get consolidated, e-commerce is here to stay - “What will win the market is great customer service, the brand name is unimportant. Some companies will fail but the sector will keep growing,” Kola comments on the highly volatile e-commerce sector.
Explaining how Consumer products and solutions create a lot of support structure that encourage more B2B companies, Kalaari remains positive about this sector while also showing interest in
“Investors are like parents that have to let the entrepreneurs be, just like my parents did. You have to let the companies discover,” says Kola, who is the most successful woman Venture Capitalist this country has seen.
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu