Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg brings extended bereavement leave to her late husband's company
The survey company - where Sandberg is a board member - updated its bereavement policy on Monday to offer employees up to 20 days of paid leave to grieve the death of an immediate family member, and 10 days for the death of an extended family member.
Before today, SurveyMonkey employees were offered just three days of bereavement leave for an immediate family member's death in state, and five days if the employee had to travel out of state. The policy also allowed for unlimited paid time off, given approval from a manager.
"Dave always believed companies should prioritize their employees' well-being," Sandberg wrote in a Facebook announcement on Monday. "Over these past two years without him, I've learned that when someone is going through hardship, the best thing we can do is show up and be there for them. Companies can show up through bereavement policies and coworkers can show up by encouraging each other to bring their whole selves to work."
The new 20-day policy puts SurveyMonkey in line with Facebook and Mastercard, which similarly worked with Sandberg to update their policies in January and June, respectively. Before Facebook updated its policy this year, employees were offered 10 days for an immediate family member and five days for extended family.
The Department of Labor doesn't require companies to pay employees for funeral leave or time to grieve, so often U.S. employees facing a loss are often required to use vacation time or forfeit pay.
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- Investors and economists bullish on India's growth even as World Bank trims FY24 GDP outlook
- Top 5 Places to visit in Mahabaleshwar
- Former TCS CEO Rajesh Gopinathan's pay jumped 13.17% to ₹29.16 cr in FY23
- Samsung Galaxy F54 5G: A top specs phone under Rs 30,000 but with fast charging still a miss
- TCS looking to grab opportunities arising due to global shifts in energy and supply chain, says Chandrasekaran