Filmmaker Shyam Benegal joins the fight against the censor board, says 'Abolish censorship'
AdvertisementComing out against the growing menace of the
Benegal, 80, best known for his movies like "Ankur", "Bhumika", "Junoon", "Nishant" and credited with bringing alternative cinema in the '70s, said the current scenario with the censor board is not very pleasing.
Censor board chief
"In one word, I would say abolish censorship. I personally don't believe in censorship. I am concerned about the imposition of censorship here, which has no real purpose except to come in the way of you expression. That's the kind of censorship I oppose," Benegal said on the sidelines of IFFI.
"There is a certain amount of debate going on in the press about censorship and chairman and how it does not appeal to large number of people. This kind of thing does not make sense. It has no place."
Benegal said filmmakers can try and get out of these tricky censorship situations in the country by adopting novel techniques.
"People creatively can bypass censorship and they do that. When it comes to matters of sex, there are ways and means the filmmakers use to go past censorship. Without the censor even being aware of what is happening. This happens," Benegal said.
Image credit: Indiatimes
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- I'm a software engineer who struggled with procrastination until I tried 'monk mode' — here's how it saves me up to 3 hours a day
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report