There is a small pool of hope amid all the fear around RBL Bank
RBL Bankis the fifth largest credit card issuer in India, only behind tier 1 banks.
- Amidst a leadership chaos at the bank, it has announced an extension of a partnership with Bajaj Finance for co-branded credit cards for five years.
- In October 2021, every one in ten credit cards were issued by RBL Bank.
Amidst the chaos, Bajaj Finance extended its credit cards partnership with RBL Bank giving the shareholders a reason for hope. More than one rupee in every five lent by RBL Bank is to the holders of the co-branded credit cards with Bajaj Finance.
A closer look at RBL’s business shows that the credit cards business is still a robust one even though it has a marginal 5% share in the market. And, it is growing fast.
RBL is also head and shoulders above the second largest credit card issuer – SBI Card – when it comes to credit costs. Despite being a small player, RBL Bank’s cost of money for credit card lending is less than half of SBI Card.
In terms of average monthly spends by its credit card holders too, RBL Bank has competed neck-to-neck with industry leaders HDFC Bank and SBI Card.
But, credit cards are less than a quarter of its business and, hence, at best, an oasis of hope for its shareholders. While the RBI has also vouched for the bank’s ability to continue as a going concern, wealth creation will depend on how the other three-fourths of the business recover and grow.
And, that will depend on how good the next CEO is and how fast s/he is found. “The fresh instability at the top management level could be of concern in the near term and would be negative for the stock price,” stated a Nirmal Bang report dated December 27, 2021.
RBL Bank depositors need not worry, assures RBI
RBL Bank slumps 20% after CEO goes on leave
Here’s why Axis Bank may be willing to pay $2 billion to buy Citi’s India ops
Popular on BI
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health
- Vodafone Idea shares tumble 14%, mcap erodes ₹10,806.7 cr
- National parties declare income of ₹3,077 cr in 2022-23; BJP has highest share
- Human trials may reveal efficacy of new Rs 100 cancer pill: Docs
- Multiplexes' revenue growth to dip to 15% in FY25 as OTTs crimp profit margins