All your friends are using Zoom, the video-chat app that is suddenly dominating competition from Google and Microsoft
- Zoom, a teleconferencing application typically used by businesses, has become the hot new way for people to connect while social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Zoom has seemingly replaced services like Google Hangouts and Microsoft's Skype as most people's go-to platform for video calls.
- "We have seen a large increase in the number of free users, meeting minutes, and new video use cases," CEO Eric Yuan said in the company's most recent investor call.
- Zoom is the world's 2nd most downloaded mobile app, behind only TikTok, according to app-analytics firm Sensor Tower.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Are you using Zoom yet?
Chances are, if you're one of the tens of millions of people currently working from home or out of school due to the coronavirus pandemic, you've quickly become familiar with the teleconferencing software.
But beyond being a productivity tool, Zoom has become a place where friends are organizing virtual happy hours and where families are staying in touch as the coronavirus pandemic keeps us all separated and indoors.
Whatever the case may be, Zoom is suddenly everywhere.
Get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
It's not just you: The company said it's seen explosive growth in the past few weeks.
Clear evidence of Zoom's rise: The Zoom app is dominating the charts for both iPhone and Android users.
Why are people using Zoom? That's less clear, but there are some obvious upsides to Zoom over its competition from Microsoft's Skype and Google's Hangouts.
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- Cristiano Ronaldo is now causing trouble for Portugal at the World Cup after his dramatic Manchester United exit
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- RBI downgrades FY23 GDP growth projections to 6.8% - lower than World Bank and other global agencies
- RBI hikes repo rate by 35 bps, taking it to 6.25% – Das says bank has ‘Arjuna’s eye’ on inflation
- Indian markets open flat ahead of RBI policy outcome – Vedanta, HDFC AMC, Bikaji Foods among stocks to watch out for
- India is home to a great diversity of faiths: US
- Uniparts India IPO: Here’s how you can check the allotment status
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World