As FIIs come back, India's forex reserves rise by $2.4 bn
The country's foreign exchange reserves rose by $2.315 billion to $573.875 billion during the week ending June 29, according to the
"India's foreign exchange reserves, supplemented by net forward assets, provide insurance against global spillovers. Our umbrella remains strong," RBI Governor
During the current financial year (up to August 4), the US dollar index (DXY) has appreciated by 8 per cent against a basket of major currencies. In this milieu, the
The depreciation of the Indian rupee is more on account of the appreciation of US dollar rather than weakness in macroeconomic fundamentals of the Indian economy.
"Market interventions by the RBI have helped in containing volatility and ensuring orderly movement of the rupee. We remain watchful and focused on maintaining stability of the Indian rupee," Das added.
In July, foreign investors turned net buyers in the Indian equities nearly after 10 months, with an investment of around Rs 4,980 crore in the Indian equity markets. This comes heavy sell-off by these entities of around Rs 50,203 crore.
According to NSDL data, investment of foreign investors in July month stood at Rs 4,989 crore, as compared to over Rs 50,000 crore outflows in June, Rs 39,993 crore in May and Rs 17,144 crore in April.
The other central banks of Asia also used their foreign exchange reserves to defend their currency.
Despite the resultant drawdown, India's foreign exchange reserves remain the fourth largest globally.
AdvertisementSEE ALSO :
August has a long weekend and Indian consumers are packing their bags to travel to Goa and Bali
Markets to keep a close watch on US and Indian inflation data
Popular on BI
- Google just developed an AI model that creates music from text prompts — but the company won't be releasing it anytime soon
- Mark Zuckerberg reportedly said he doesn't like seeing 'managers managing managers,' fueling speculation of more layoffs
- ChatGPT creator OpenAI might be training its AI technology to replace some software engineers, report says
- CPP Investments commits $205 mn to Indospace's new fund for building industrial, logistic parks in India
- DetectGPT to help teachers detect content generated using ChatGPT by students
- Air India to use cloud software app to facilitate real-time reporting of in-flight incidents
- Adani Enterprises FPO subscribed just 2% amid allegations by Hindenburg Research
- Budget expectations: Startups seek 10-yr tax holiday, less holding period of ESOP shares