Consumer complaints need to be resolved quickly, says RBI Governor
Addressing the Annual Conference of
The central bank governor said he was concerned about rising customer grievances, despite the RBI's efforts to resolve them.
Some specific areas which have reported most complaints, include mis-selling, disproportionate service charges, and very high penal rates.
Das also raised the matter of intimidating tactics used by representatives of financial institutions, citing media reports.
He also expressed concern over various methods of payment frauds being used by undesirable entities like phishing, vishing, fake links and websites, and remote-access apps.
"What is of concern is that still a large number of complaints pertain to traditional banking," Das said.
"This calls for serious review of the working of the customer service and grievance redress mechanism in the regulated entities," he added.
The root cause of the persistence of such grievances should be analysed and corrective measures taken, Das emphasised.
At the same time though, he added that the ombudsman offices should be sensitive and judicious in their approach.
Apple surges to add $178 billion in market value as 4th-quarter earnings help drive a turnaround in the stock market
The Fed will hike rates too far and tip the global economy into a recession, survey of economists says
See inside an almost $1 million prefab tiny home village near Seattle trying to solve the ongoing homelessness crisis
Popular on BI
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- Media mogul Martha Stewart isn't a fan of remote work: 'You can't possibly get everything done working three days a week in the office and two days remotely'
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- Best 25L Vertical water heaters in India
- Apple Maps is finally getting offline navigation, just like Google Maps
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Dalal Street welcomes RBI MPC holding interest rate as but wary of inflation focus
- Best affordable 2-in-1 convertible laptops in India for 2023