Get to know 12 top fintech bankers
Happy Saturday, and welcome to
- Get to know 12 top fintech bankers
- Tiger Global's flagship fund is down for the year
- Meet the women who helped build PayPal
- Inside the rise of Raine Group's Jeff Sine
- The latest trader exits from Credit Suisse
If this email was forwarded to you, sign up here to get your daily dose of the stories dominating banking, business, and big deals.
Join Insider on June 24 at 1 p.m. ET for a live exclusive webinar where three top financial services executives from Deutsche Bank, AllianceBernstein, and Accenture will break down what the future of work looks like as
PayPal's origin story is male-dominated, but these 20 women played key roles in building the payments giant during its early days
The "PayPal Mafia" is one of the most influential clubs in Silicon Valley. Historically, mentions of the group never included women who worked at PayPal. Here are 20 women who helped build PayPal.
How Jeff Sine became SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son's deal whisperer and built Raine Group into a $4 billion investing empire along the way
From humble beginnings, Jeff Sine built a career as an unorthodox banker who offered unvarnished advice and tamed unruly transactions for business moguls like Masayoshi Son and Rupert Murdoch. Here's how he defied the odds and built the merchant bank The Raine Group into an investing empire in its own right.
Billionaire Chase Coleman's Tiger Global struggled in May, and its flagship fund is down for the year after a stellar 2020
While Chase Coleman has pumped billions into the private
12 bankers running fintech groups at firms like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs give an inside look at dealmaking in the red-hot sector
The fintech space has exploded in recent years, keeping Wall Street bankers busy. Some banks see fintech as an outgrowth of TMT and FIG teams, while others see it as a stand-alone. Check out what 12 fintech bankers have to say about the space.
The former head of data at Neuberger Berman and Point72 has launched a firm to help money managers get access to simplified data
Michael Recce, a former Neuberger Berman and Point72 data head, has started his own data business: Alpha ROC, a technology and consulting firm meant to simplify data for both the vendor and the user. Recce told Insider that despite alternative data's growth, there still isn't large-scale adoption.
Why General Atlantic's top healthcare dealmaker is betting on telemedicine sticking around long after the pandemic subsides
Tech innovation is driving growth in healthcare, General Atlantic's Robbert Vorhoff told Insider. Last month, Vorhoff's team led a $110 million Series D financing for Vida Health, which manages a virtual care system for payors and employers. Here's where he's seeing big opportunities.
Banks are posing a threat to 'buy now, pay later' players by offering merchants their own way to roll out the popular payment method
"Buy now, pay later" services have evolved into consumer-facing companies keen to establish their own brands. But banks and credit-card companies are developing ways to allow merchants to both offer point-of-sale financing and maintain the customer relationships themselves. Get all the details on the new competitive dynamics here.
Wall Street people moves
- HSBC has hired 8 traders for its credit division- including a team lift-out from Credit Suisse - circling the wagons after a wave of defections
- Deutsche Bank promoted 2 new heads of its ECM business in the Americas, including a key leader in the bank's SPAC business
- Morgan Stanley named a new marketing chief and added new wealth-division leadership from E-Trade
- Bank of America nabs a high-yield bond salesman and leveraged finance veteran from UBS
- See our full rundown here.
Other stories readers loved this week
- Hedge funds piled into the first-ever junk bond tied to bitcoin to avoid 'high-yield FOMO'
- 2 legal-tech companies just filed to go public. Here's everything you need to know about Intapp and LegalZoom and their plans for growth.
- SoFi is underwriting Chamath Palihapitiya's 4 biotech SPAC IPOs as the fintech looks to compete with Wall Street's top investment banks
- Forget bitcoin and other hypervolatile cryptocurrencies. For everyday transactions, the future of money is stablecoins.
- JPMorgan's private-bank CEO wants to hire 1,500 advisors. Here's which cities he's targeting and how a new training program will lock down next-gen talent.
- RBI bars JM Financial Products from financing against shares, debentures
- UP govt approves proposal for formation of Uttar Pradesh State Capital Region on lines of NCR
- Popular Vehicles and Services to float IPO on March 12
- Nothing Phone (2a) smartphone debuts in India, priced starting at ₹23,999
- New variant of H5N1 bird flu spreads to marine mammals, heightening concerns for human transmission