India, UAE in talks for rupee-dirham denominated bilateral trade
The Ambassador said the talks started on September 1, 2022.
"Both countries find this beneficial. India has shared a concept paper with UAE. Central Banks of both countries are discussing. The objective is to reduce the transaction cost," the Indian Ambassador to UAE said.
This development followed the Reserve Bank of India's (
It is widely believed if the mechanism fructifies then it may go a long way in internationalizing the Indian currency rupee in the long run.
A currency can be termed "international" if it is widely accepted worldwide as a medium of exchange.
In the report, SBI Research said the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) should make a conscious effort to internationalise the Indian currency rupee amid disruptions in payments caused by the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war.
Retail inflationary pressures expected to ease with fresh Kharif arrivals: Finance Ministry
Rupee 8 paise higher to close at 81.62 against US dollar
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling