Nancy Pelosi's husband has plowed up to $1 million into bullish bets on Tesla stock
- House Speaker
Nancy Pelosihas up to $1 million riding on Tesla's future success.
- The politician disclosed that her husband bought 25 call options on shares in Elon Musk's electric-vehicle company.
- Paul Pelosi also made bullish wagers on
Appleand Disneyand purchased AllianceBernstein stock.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband has placed up to $1 million worth of bullish bets on Tesla stock, the politician revealed in a financial disclosure form last week.
Paul Pelosi, who runs an investment firm, bought 25 call options on Tesla stock with a strike price of $500 and an expiration date of March 18, 2022. He spent between $500,001 and $1 million on them on December 22.
The call options give him the right to buy 2,500 Tesla shares at $500 each at any point before they expire in March 2022.
That may sound like a fantastic deal with shares in Elon Musk's electric-vehicle company changing hands at about $850 on Monday. However, Pelosi will have paid a premium for the options, so Tesla stock would have to climb before they become profitable to exercise.
Pelosi likely opted to buy long-term equity anticipation security, or LEAP, options, as they cost less up front than buying Tesla shares directly while granting exposure to a stock that skyrocketed by about 700% last year. The $500 strike price means the options are "in the money" and won't be worthless even if Tesla's stock price treads water or falls by a few hundred dollars by the time they expire.
The purchases are legal but have raised eyebrows. Nancy Pelosi now has a financial interest in Tesla's success, even as she's poised to play a key role in passing green initiatives that stand to help the automaker.
The veteran politician's spouse also spent up to $500,000 for 100 call options on Apple stock with a strike price of $100 and an expiration date of January 21, 2022. He plowed as much as $1 million into 100 call options on Disney stock with a strike price of $100 and an expiration date of March 18, 2022.
Read more: 3 investing heavyweights who oversee a combined $922 billion explain how the Democratic sweep and Capitol siege could shape the outlook for mega-cap tech stocks - and break down how to capitalize on the turn of events
Finally, Pelosi's husband paid between $500,000 and $1 million for 20,000 shares in AllianceBernstein. There's a total of $1.75 million to $3.5 million in security purchases attributed to Paul on the disclosure form.
Pelosi has represented California in the House of Representatives since 1987, and as speaker she's second in the line of succession for the presidency, after the vice president. She was the highest-ranking female elected official in US history until Vice President Kamala Harris was inaugurated on Wednesday.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Threats to Mukesh Ambani's family: one held from Bihar
- UK Home Secretary Suella Braverman objects to increasing visas for Indians
- Upcoming electric cars in India in 2022 - check the expected price and range here
- More than half of Bitcoin volume on crypto exchanges fake: Report
- 12,000 Facebook employees, 15% of its workforce, may lose jobs amid 'quiet layoffs': Report
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World