RBI to allow use of credit cards via UPI soon, starting with RuPay credit cards
Wikipedia / Business Insider India
- India’s central bank has announced that users will soon be able to link their credit cards to
- Initially, homegrown
RuPay credit cardswill be eligible to be linked to UPI.
- This will allow users to use UPI to make payments using credit cards.
AdvertisementIn a big boost to homegrown
The central bank announced that a facility to link credit cards with the UPI platform is being developed and initially, users with RuPay credit cards will be able to link them with UPI.
At present, only savings and current bank accounts are linked to the UPI platform through their debit card and this account is debited and credited with transactions.
It is to be noted that it will take some time before you will be able to use your credit card for UPI payments. Das said that the facility will be available once the system development takes place and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is instructed to implement this policy.
UPI is one of the biggest success stories in India and the new proposal is aimed at offering convenience to users and enhancing the scope of digital payments.
Currently there are over 26 crore unique UPI users and over 5 crore UPI merchants. In May 2022, over 594 crore transactions worth ₹10.4 lakh crore were processed on the UPI platform.
Once you link your credit card to UPI, you will be able to make payments just by scanning a QR code and entering your UPI PIN. This means that you won’t have to carry around your credit cards with you, or use individual credit card apps to use your phone to tap and pay.
India’s central bank hikes interest rates by 50 bps to fight off ‘globalised’ inflation
India is likely to promote UPI, RuPay to de-risk itself, says Motilal Oswal report
In a relief to PhonePe and Google Pay, UPI apps may get more time to comply with the 30% cap on market share
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore