Rupee slips past 82 per dollar to hit a new all-time low
- The rupee depreciated 16 paise to an all-time low of 82.33 against the US dollar in early trade on Friday as a firm American currency and risk-averse sentiment among investors weighed on the local unit.
- On Thursday, the Indian currency for the first time closed below the 82 level against the greenback.
- The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading 0.14 per cent down at 112.10.
AdvertisementThe rupee depreciated 16 paise to an all-time low of 82.33 against the US dollar in early trade on Friday as a firm American currency and risk-averse sentiment among investors weighed on the local unit.
Moreover, a negative trend in domestic equities and elevated crude oil prices sapped investor appetite, forex traders said.At the interbank foreign exchange, the rupee opened at 82.19 against the greenback, then fell to 82.33, registering a fall of 16 paise over its previous close.
On Thursday, the Indian currency for the first time closed below the 82 level against the greenback. It plunged 55 paise to close at a record low of 82.17 against the US currency."An uptick in crude prices has caused concerns around the trade deficit to resurface. US rates staying higher for longer is not helping the capital account,"
Global oil benchmark Brent crude futures fell 0.10 per cent to USD 94.33 per barrel.On the domestic equity market front, the 30-share
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market on Thursday as they purchased shares worth Rs 279.01 crore, as per exchange data.
Rupee falls 16 paise to all-time low of 82.33 against US dollar in early trade
Covid-19 and flu coinfection rising in India, WHO warns it may escalate in the winters
Popular on BI
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams