The founder of Carta dissects the pitch decks that helped him raise $448 million
Carta was conceived over lunch at a Thai restaurant.
CEO Henry Ward was there with Manu Kumar, an investor at the venture-capital firm K9 Ventures. Kumar had backed Ward's last startup, Second Sight, a suite of investment tools that was, in Ward's words, an "absolute failure."
For whatever reason, Kumar still believed in Ward. And now he had a new idea for him.
Ward recalled to Business Insider how Kumar wondered why he still got a paper stock certificate in the mail when he invested in a private company. Investing in public companies was so much easier.
Ward was a "finance guy," Kumar reasoned, referring to Ward's master's degree in capital market finance. Couldn't he solve this problem?
Nearly a decade later, Carta is a $1.7 billion platform for buying and selling shares in private companies. (Kumar is a cofounder.) Carta recently closed a series E round, which brought its total funding to $448 million.
If you talk to Ward for more than a few seconds, you'll see at least one reason for Carta's explosive growth. Ward is a master salesman. He makes complex financial concepts easy to understand; he's excited to answer questions about the company that he's probably fielded 100 times before.
Ward recently participated in a Business Insider Prime webinar, where he walked through his series A and series E pitch decks. He discussed the importance of "message-market fit," how Carta raised $800,000 in three weeks, and the only reason investors will support an early-stage company.
Simply enter your email address to receive a FREE download of the full transcript of the webinar!
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala