The growing market share of nonbanks and alternative financing in the online mortgage lending industry
- This is a preview of The Online Mortagage Lending Report from Business Insider Intelligence.
- Purchase this report.
- Business Insider Intelligence offers even more insights like this with our Banking Pro coverage. Subscribe today to receive industry-changing banking news and analysis to your inbox.
Since the 2008 financial crisis, legacy banks have witnessed a decrease in their share of the banking market. The ability of nonbanks to leverage digital technology has allowed them to meet customers' efficiency and convenience demands through online services.
Without having to adhere to the specific regulations that incumbent banks face, nonbanks and alternative lenders have garnered the attention of underserved individuals looking to buy or refinance their homes by reducing interest rates and minimizing down payments.
What is a nonbank mortgage loan?Nonbanks are financial institutions that offer typical bank-related lending services, like mortgage lending, while providing users an easier path to obtaining loans.
Nonbank mortgage industry services
Nonbank mortgage lenders offer similar services to those of traditional institutions - but with lower down payments and fewer financial criteria. Because nonbanks operate without full banking licenses, they don't have to adhere to as many regulations as legacy banks - resulting in faster loan approvals and more flexible rates.Most nonbank mortgage lenders offer consumers two major services: home loans and loan refinancing. Home loans can include fixed loans, Federal Housing Administration loans, United States Department of Agriculture loans, jumbo loans, and reverse mortgage loans. Refinancing options offered by nonbank institutions oftentimes include lowering monthly mortgage payments and consolidating debt.
Top alternative mortgage lending sources
There are many alternative lending companies that have garnered success due to the ability to offer underserved users access to mortgage loans through digital channels. These are some of the top mortgage lending services right now:
- Quicken Loans: With the launch of Rocket Mortgage in 2015, Quicken Loans altered the traditional home loan application process by offering users a mortgage application that takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
- LoanDepot: In 2017 LoanDepot introduced a suite of tools that allows consumers to fill out mortgage loan applications conveniently from their smartphones - attracting attention from tech-savvy users seeking a convenient application process.
- Better.com: This US-based startup has funded over $4 billion in loans since its launch in 2016 - helping more than 20,000 consumers buy or refinance their homes.
Present & Future of the Alternative Mortgage Lending IndustryBusiness Insider Intelligence's Online Mortgage Lending Report finds that amid growing customer demand, nonbanks continue to threaten incumbents. A study of 5,200 consumers from Oracle's Digital Demand in Retail Banking study found that over 40% of customers believe nonbanks are a better lending option than traditional banks. This continued pressure from nonbanks has forced incumbents to digitize or advance their online offerings - however the ability of nobanks to reduce loan processing time and cut interest rates will make it difficult for traditional banking institutions to compete.
Banking Industry Analysis
As consumers continue to demand the speed and convenience of digital technology, various facets of the banking industry will evolve. Nonbanks have already transformed the mortgage lending market, and it's important for top decision makers to stay informed about how banking tech will give rise to even more alternatives to traditional financial services. That's why Business Insider Intelligence is launching Banking, our newest research coverage area to keep you up to date on how nonbanks are garnering success in the mortgage lending market - and the strategies incumbents can employ to adapt.
Interested in getting the full report? Here's how to get access:
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now
- Sign up for Banking Pro, Business Insider Intelligence's expert product suite tailored for today's (and tomorrow's) decision-makers in the financial services industry, delivered to your inbox 6x a week. >> Get Started
- Current subscribers can read the report here.
- ‘Delhi Chalo’ march intensifies: Protesting farmers allowed to enter, will be escorted by the Delhi Police
- Uber, Ola hit a speed bump as Indian government caps surge pricing and issues new guidelines
- Farmers' protest: Delhi government denies permission to police to use stadiums as temporary jails
- Adani completes ₹1,300 crore acquisition of Alipurduar Transmission from Kalpataru Power
- Chaos at Tikri border as protesters clash with police