Who on Wall Street is making cuts, who's promoting, and who's hiring
Good morning! I'm Michelle Abrego filling in for Dan DeFrancesco as we – and the markets – are off observing Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Today, we're going to be running through five stories you might have missed while you've been focusing on keeping your New Year's resolutions and laying out your 2023 plans.
One thing that's apparent on Wall Street is that many people are worried about their jobs and compensation. We've already seen layoffs at Goldman Sachs, BlackRock, and BNY Mellon materialize, and there's likely more bad news to come.
Readers have been gravitating to our coverage about job cuts, but also promotions, and how to find opportunities on the Street— as they say, when one door closes, another one opens. Check out some of those stories below.
If this was forwarded to you, sign up here. Download Insider's app here.
1. Wall Street bonuses are being handed out—but they're not going to be pretty. Here's when banks like JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, and Morgan Stanley are expected to tell employees how much they made.
2. Goldman kicked off layoffs from NYC to Dallas last week. Insiders broke down what it was like to be laid off after a "hectic" year. (The bank is still hiring in some areas, though).
3. The world's largest asset manager, BlackRock, also made its first cuts since 2019. Sources told Insider employees had been on edge, as rumblings about the layoffs spread.
4. College students still eyeing a job on Wall Street should look no further than our guide to landing a summer job at a top investment bank or asset manager.
5. Morgan Stanley delivered good news to 184 employees. The bank announced who made it to its top managing director ranks. Hedge fund Balyasny also announced 7 new partners.
Edited by Jeffrey Cane (tweet @jeffrey_cane) in New York and Hallam Bullock (tweet @hallam_bullock) in London.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May