Tour Richard Branson's private island where he and his team rode out Hurricane Irma
Hurricane Irma has brought significant damage to much of the Caribbean as it's barreled towards South Florida.
One of the islands in the path of the "potentially catastrophic" Category 5 hurricane was Necker Island, the British Virgin Island retreat belonging to billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson.
Earlier this week, Branson announced that he and his team would be riding out the storm in the main house's wine cellar.
Following the storm's hit on the island, a spokesperson for the Virgin Group told Business Insider: "Virgin Limited Edition can confirm that on the 6th September 2017 Necker Island sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Irma. There were no guests on Island at the time and all staff staying on Island have been accounted for as safe and well."
This is not the first time that Branson has had to repair the structures on Necker Island. A major fire in 2011 brought major damage to the main house, which took two years to rebuild.
Branson bought the 74-acre island in the British Virgin Islands for $180,000 after visiting in 1978. He has called it "the best financial move" he ever made. The island has been a getaway for celebrities, entrepreneurs, and even former President Barack Obama, who visited shortly after he left the White House in January.
Individual rooms can be rented starting at $4,280 a night, for a week minimum, while the island can be rented as a whole for $78,000 a day.
Take a look around the island as it looked in less stormy times.
Julie Zeveloff and Sophie-Claire Hoeller contributed reporting to earlier versions of this article.
- Kia EV6 is now up for pre-booking in India — All you need to know about the futuristic electric vehicle
- IT jobs are safer than startup jobs but a salary bubble burst awaits them
- This travel agency stock has given 183% returns in a year - after pandemic changed its fortunes
- Gautam Adani crashes out of the $100 billion club, but still is 10x richer than he was 2 years back
- Rajat Patidar’s century is the fastest of all seven centuries in this season of IPL
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction