Former Apple retail genius and ousted JCPenney CEO Ron Johnson is coming back in a big way
View all Offers
- 21% OFF
MBTC Xcelo Mesh Office Chair (Black)₹ 3399₹ 4999Buy On
- 73% OFF
SAVYA HOME® Curvy Kitchen Stool/BAR Stool (Qty-2) (Standard, Black)₹ 4249₹ 16000Buy On
- 39% OFF
AVRO FURNITURE 7756 Plastic Chair | Set of 4 | Matt and Gloss Pattern | for Dining Room, Bedroom, Kitchen, Living Room | Bearing Capacity up to 150Kg | Strong & Sturdy Structure | 1 Year Guarantee₹ 2729₹ 2999Buy On
SleepX Ortho Plus Quilted 6 inch King Bed Size, Firm Memory Foam Mattress (Purple, 78x72x6 )₹ 11739₹ 23832Buy On
SleepX Dual Comfort Mattress 5 inch Single Bed Size, High Density (HD) Foam- Medium Soft & Hard (Orange, 72x36x5)₹ 5059₹ 6500Buy On
He will also be joining the company's board of directors.
Since JCPenney ousted Johnson in 2013, he's been working on a retail startup called Enjoy, but had been in touch with Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso for the last year.
When Nasty Gal opened its first physical store in Los Angeles in March 2014, Johnson flew out to give Amoruso advice. Nasty Gal plans to use the $16 million Series C - and Johnson's expertise as a board member - to open at least one more brick-nand-mortar location.
"We don't have an aggressive rollout planned," Amoruso told Re/code's Jason Del Rey. "We want to get another one open, learn a lot and then hopefully destroy everyone."
Johnson took over at JCPenney for 16 months and announced an aggressive turnaround plan, which included doing away with the retailer's popular coupon program and creating shop-in-shops that showcased certain vendors.
That strategy sent sales crashing 32%.
Bill Ackman, the hedge fund manager and investor who recruited Johnson, called his tenure a "disaster."
"One of the big mistakes was perhaps too much change too quickly without adequate testing on what the impact would be," Ackman said at a Reuters conference in 2013.
Ashley Lutz contributed to this story.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 8 2-in-1 laptop to go on sale in India on February 15
- Cardano jumps on the metaverse bandwagon with Pavia — here’s everything you need to know about ADA’s entry into play-to-earn
- Airtel and OneWeb team up to bring satellite internet connectivity to India
- Adani Green Energy stock has jumped 45% this year to become more valuable than L&T, Maruti Suzuki, and Axis Bank
- Qualcomm's new iSIM tech could bring better connectivity options to wearables, laptops, tablets and IoT devices