Former Apple retail genius and ousted JCPenney CEO Ron Johnson is coming back in a big way
He will also be joining the company's board of directors.
Since JCPenney ousted Johnson in 2013, he's been working on a retail startup called Enjoy, but had been in touch with Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso for the last year.
When Nasty Gal opened its first physical store in Los Angeles in March 2014, Johnson flew out to give Amoruso advice. Nasty Gal plans to use the $16 million Series C - and Johnson's expertise as a board member - to open at least one more brick-nand-mortar location.
"We don't have an aggressive rollout planned," Amoruso told Re/code's Jason Del Rey. "We want to get another one open, learn a lot and then hopefully destroy everyone."
Amoruso stepped down as CEO of Nasty Gal in January, after a year of slowing revenue growth and lay-offs.
Johnson took over at JCPenney for 16 months and announced an aggressive turnaround plan, which included doing away with the retailer's popular coupon program and creating shop-in-shops that showcased certain vendors.
That strategy sent sales crashing 32%.
Bill Ackman, the hedge fund manager and investor who recruited Johnson, called his tenure a "disaster."
"One of the big mistakes was perhaps too much change too quickly without adequate testing on what the impact would be," Ackman said at a Reuters conference in 2013.
Ashley Lutz contributed to this story.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling