Here is the highest-paying job in every US state
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, we found the highest-paying occupation in every state (plus DC).
- Doctors and surgeons top the ranking in most states.
Doctors make a lot of money across the United States.
Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Employment Statistics program, we found the job in each state with the highest average annual salary as of May 2017, the latest available data. For our calculations, we considered jobs employing at least 1,000 people in the state for which the BLS reported annual mean salaries.
A bonus just for you: Click here to claim 30 days of access to Business Insider PRIME
As with our recently published list of the highest-paying occupations in the US, medical jobs are extremely common, with miscellaneous doctors and surgeons being the highest-paid occupation in 23 states. Several other medical specializations are the highest-paying occupations in many states.
Because so many of these jobs were the highest-paying in multiple states, we've arranged the list in order of the 12 jobs that appear on the above map. We've also included a list of the states for which that job is the highest-paying, along with the job's average annual salary in those states:
Airline pilots, copilots, and flight engineers
Family and general practitioners
General and operations managers
Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Physicians and surgeons, all other
- Byju's shareholders vote to remove CEO, family; company calls vote invalid
- Engaging with competent authorities, use only genuine cheese, says McDonald's
- Apple's India revenue up 42% to $8.7 bn in 2023: Morgan Stanley
- Reserve Bank asks NPCI to help continue operations of Paytm app
- Top 10 places to visit in Andhra Pradesh