Here’s what you can access during the 21-day lockdown across India
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown starting midnight.
- As per the announcement, all commercial and private establishments shall be closed down.
- However, grocery shops, banks and few other essential services will be available.
AdvertisementPrime Minister Narendra Modi today announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown starting midnight as the country entered the third and critical phase of the pandemic.
“If we do not adhere to the 21-day lockdown, the next 21 years will be affected. And many families will be destroyed,” he said, insisting that even he himself practices social distancing.
The Ministry of Health data shows that the country now has 569 infected people; out of which 40 recovered and ten died.
Of the 521 active cases in India, 476 were Indians while 43 are foreigners.
According to the announcement, all commercial and private establishments shall be closed down. However, an exception has been made for essential services such as:
- Shops, including ration shops (under PDS), dealing with food groceries, fruits and vegetables, dairy and milk booths, meat and fish, animal fodder. However, district authorities may encourage and facilitate home delivery to minimize the movement of individuals outside their homes.
- Banks, insurance offices and ATMs.
- Print and electronic media.
- Telecommunications, internet services, broadcasting and cable services. IT and IT-enabled services only (for essential services) and as far as possible to work from home.
- Delivery of all essential goods, including food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment through E-commerce.
- Petrol pumps, LPG, Petroleum and gas retail and shortage outlets.
- Power generation, transmission and distribution units and services.
- Capital and debt market services as notified by the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Coal storage and warehousing services.
- Private security services.
The big announcements from India's Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
Raghuram Rajan says save people before saving the economy
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala