How to lace up your sneakers 3 different ways for unique looks - a step-by-step guide
- Sneakers are integral to casual style, but whether you realize it or not, how you lace your sneakers can hurt or enhance the overall look of your outfit.
- By paying close attention to how they're laced, you can add a unique flair to your personal style or simply make your sneakers look sleeker. For a shoe like the super popular Comme Des Garçons PLAY x Converse Chuck 70s, unique lacing helps them stand out from the rest.
- Below, I've outlined how to lace your sneakers in different patterns including classic over or under, loop-back, and straight.
I own an insane amount of sneakers (I've seriously lost count) with pairs ranging from vintage Air Jordans from the '90s to the latest releases from startups and big brand names. Even though I have such a wide spectrum of styles, one thing that I can say about each and every pair that I've worn - and I try to wear all of my sneakers - is that I always re-lace them before putting them on for the first time.
Maybe it's just my extremely close attention to detail, but I find that redoing the laces is a quick and easy way to improve the aesthetic of the sneakers or to add a unique flair to one's style.
While most sneakers come out of the box laced up and ready to wear, you'll regularly find laces that are uneven, twisted, in the wrong pattern, or simply pulled way too tight. You have to consider that the factory worker who laced up your sneakers is tasked with lacing hundreds of shoes in a row, so some degree of sloppiness is bound to happen.
There are an endless amount of ways to lace your shoes, but I'll walk you through a few of my favorite patterns that anyone should be able to do with ease.
Here's everything you'll need:
- A cool pair of sneakers, of course. Check out our buying guides for the best stylish sneakers and best white sneakers to find a pair. Each pair of shoes I used below can be found between these two guides.
- Extra laces are optional but a great way to add personality to your sneakers. Shop all shoelaces on Amazon or buy this 20-count variety pack for $9.99.
Keep scrolling to learn a few different ways to lace your sneakers.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First, make sure both ends of the lace are even
The classic under pattern: Re-lace your shoes for a much cleaner look than out of the box
The classic under pattern: final results
The diagonal-and-over pattern: another easy style
The loop-back pattern: How to create the loop
The loop-back pattern: Put the other end of the lace through the loop
The loop-back pattern: The end result is a unique weave-like pattern
The straight pattern: This can be tricky, so pay attention
The straight pattern: Continue the pattern — you're almost there
The straight pattern completed: It's great for casual looks
Where to buy extra laces
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India