The best sleds you can buy for winter fun
- There's a lot to consider when you're buying a sled. Like, how fast do you really want to zip down that hill? Is maximum speed your only speed, or are you looking for a gentler ride? Who's going to be using the sled? A taller-than-average adult? A small child? And, how much storage space are you working with? (That could determine whether you go old-school metal runner or inflatable.)
- With all of the above in mind, the Slippery Racer Downhill Xtreme Toboggan Snow Sled is still our top pick because it's swift, stable, and large enough for an adult and child to share a ride.
When I was a young man, I was hard to beat in a downhill sled race. My technique, perfected between the ages of about eight to eleven, was a blend of refined skill and innate passion. First, I would run down the hill for a few steps. Next, I would jump onto my sled - a bright orange plastic toboggan - landing chest-down and often knocking the wind from my lungs. Then I would hang onto the sled and hope not to hit any trees as I flew downhill, my only option for countering a collision being the bailout.
As an adult, the sledding hill near my parents' house looks a bit smaller, and I doubt I would fit onto that beloved orange toboggan anymore. I also seem to spend more time pulling my son around the neighborhood on his sled than I do flying down the hill myself. (Also I spend more time working and taking out the garbage and going to the gas station and stuff. Adulthood ... yuck.) But just because I have less free time and have outgrown my childhood sled doesn't mean I've outgrown that same passion for downhill speed that informed so many winters of my youth.
If you, too, crave the thrill of downhill snow sledding despite the curse of adulthood, you're in luck: We have put together a list of the five best sleds for adults. With one of these grown-up sized sleds, the fearless kid lurking within you will be unleashed again, albeit this time likely with a more refined sense of self-preservation. They're also suitable for use with your kids.
Whether you love the classic sleigh-style runner sled, the Griswold go-to saucer, or a big and comfy inflatable tube, you're sure to find a perfect downhill vehicle on our list.
Here are the best sleds you can buy:
- Best sled overall: Slippery Racer Downhill XTreme Toboggan Snow Sled
- Best inflatable snow tube: A-DUDU Inflatable Snow Tube
- Best utility sled: Terrain Deer Drag Utility Sled
- Best classic runner sled: Flexible Flyer Steel Runner Sled
- Best saucer sled: Lucky Bums Powder Coated Metal Saucer
Updated on 10/1/2019 by Caitlin Petreycik: Updated copy, prices, links, and formatting.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best sled overall
The best inflatable snow tube
The best utility sled
The best classic runner sled
The best saucer sled
- World Heart Day delights: Yoga, exercise, and heart-healthy living
- TCS retains No 1 spot as India’s top brand but tech sector takes a hit
- Brewing capital: Third Wave Coffee raises Series C funding with participation from existing investors
- Asian Paints' non-executive director Ashwin Dani passes away
- Mapping Zealandia: Scientists chart the tectonic secrets of Earth’s sunken 8th continent