How the homeless population in every state has changed over the past 10 years
Shayanne Gal/Business Insider
- The homeless population in the United States went down 14.4% from 2007 to 2017, according to data from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- The change was more drastic in some states: Michigan led the nation by decreasing its homeless population by 68%.
- Meanwhile, North Dakota's homeless population increased over the same time period by 71.2%.
There are more than 550,000 homeless people in the US - a solid .17% of the entire US population.
But believe it or not, the homeless situation was much worse 10 years ago.
According to statistics from the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the US homeless population has decreased 14.4% between 2007 and 2017. In 2007, there were 647,258 homeless Americans, compared to the 553,742 there are today.
The change in the homeless population is especially pronounced in some states. Michigan led the nation by decreasing its homeless population by 68% between 2007 and 2017. New Jersey and Kentucky also both managed to post decreases of more than 50% over that time period.
On the other end of the spectrum, there were 14 states (and Washington, DC) that saw their homeless populations rise from 2007 to 2017. North Dakota fared worse than any other state, with a rise in homelessness of 71.2%. South Dakota and Wyoming both also posted increases of more than 60%.
Note that the numbers only reflect the change in each state's homeless population, not the homeless population itself. If you're looking for the state with the most homeless people, it's California, with more than 134,000.
Meanwhile, the state with the highest percentage of homeless people is Hawaii, where homeless people comprise .5% of the state population. Washington, DC, fares even worse - more than 1% of residents are homeless in the nation's capital.
- Are you effectively assessing the impact of marketplace management services?
- Digital upskilling has become the need of the hour for the pharma sector
- Why manufacturers must embrace skills transformation to be future-ready
- 'One-trick' ponies – US, India and China markets are rallying on single narratives, investors need to be cautious, say experts
- Why data analytics is the solution for healthcare providers in the post-Covid world
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World