How to create a travel budget and stick to it, according to someone who's been traveling abroad for over 2 years
Courtesy of Natalia Lusinski
- When traveling, creating and maintaining a budget is essential.
- From researching your destinations in advance to using money-tracking apps, there are many tactics that can help you do so.
- Here are seven ways to create and manage your travel budget.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
For more than two years, I've been living and traveling abroad, mostly in Europe. As a digital nomad, I work remotely and tend to switch countries every one to three months.
While many of my expenses are less than what I spent living in my hometown of Los Angeles, having a budget - and sticking to it - is still necessary. It's easy to overspend when you're not in your home country, and no one wants to have to cut a trip short because they've exhausted all their money.
So, coming from someone who's made a living working and traveling abroad, here are seven my best budgeting strategies, whether you're on a quick vacation or a long-term visit in another country.
Figure out what you can afford to spend and make goals in each major spending category
Use travel and currency apps
To better track your spending, pay in cash
To save money, visit tourist hotspots during their off-season
Research your top travel destinations in advance
Research your transportation options in advance, too
Take into consideration what types of activities you want to do
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x
- After JP Morgan, Indian bonds set to enter other global bond indices; capital raising for infra push to get a boost
- 10 calcium-rich foods to ward Off calcium deficiency
- Amazon introduces next-gen of Echo smart devices with new-age AI