Huawei just caught a break: The US government has temporarily loosened restrictions so that Huawei can help its existing customers
- Huawei has had its restrictions around conducting business in the US scaled back.
- Last week, the US Commerce Department added Huawei to an "entity list" that blacklisted the company from buying parts from US businesses without government approval.
- The restrictions on Huawei have been reduced so the Chinese company is able to work with its existing cell phone customers in the US.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The US Commerce Department on Monday created a temporary general license restoring Huawei's ability to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets.The license, which was posted for public inspection, scales back the restrictions imposed by the US government last week on Huawei's buying US goods in order to help existing customers. The temporary license lasts until August 19.Advertisement
Last week, the US Commerce Department added Huawei, a massive Chinese tech company, to an "entity list" that essentially blacklisted the company from buying parts from US businesses without first getting US government approval.Reuters reported Sunday that Google suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software, and technical services except those publicly available via open-source licensing, citing a source familiar with the matter.
Holders of current Huawei smartphones with Google apps, however, will continue to be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, a Google representative said, confirming earlier reporting by Reuters.Potential beneficiaries of the temporary license could include internet access and mobile phone service providers in thinly populated places such as Wyoming and eastern Oregon that purchased network equipment from Huawei in recent years.Advertisement
However, the "temporary general license" will allow Huawei to provide software updates and maintain existing cell networks for those in the US who use Huawei smartphones.have reportedly cut off critical software and parts to Huawei "until further notice."Advertisement
Get the latest Google stock price here.
- Domestic flights resume after two months: Delhi's first departure is to Pune and Mumbai's first to Patna
- 46 more test COVID positive in Assam, total cases near 400
- Turkey confirms 32 deaths, 1,141 new COVID-19 cases
- COVID: As 2 more test positive, Hamirpur continues to have highest number of cases in HP
- Himachal COVID-19 tally crosses 200 as 18 news cases reported