I tried In-N-Out and Whataburger side by side - and it's obvious who makes the better burger
Both companies are still family-owned, regional chains - an anomaly in a market that is mostly dominated by national, multimillion-dollar fast food companies.
In-N-Out is scattered throughout the Southwest, while Whatabuger locations line the south from New Mexico over to Florida.
They meet in the middle: Dallas, Texas, to be exact, which is where I had the opportunity to eat the two side-by-side in a classic taste test smackdown.
While Texans swear by Whataburger's more southern menu items (Texas toast, patty melts, biscuits), Californians rave about In-N-Out's fresh ingredients and "animal style" burgers.
For this test, I ordered the basics: burger, large fries, and a chocolate milkshake.
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role
- Victory of Modi's guarantees, say BJP leaders as party sweeps states states
- Sunil Kanugolu: The poll strategist behind Congress' win in Telangana
- Digvijaya and Kamal Nath are now history, says Ashwini Vaishnaw as BJP attains victory in MP