ICICI’s Chanda Kochhar gets ‘Woodrow Wilson Award’, becomes first Indian woman to receive it. Here’s how she is nailing it in the finance world
She is the first Indian woman to receive the award, which has been received by former Indian President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and Infosys founder Narayana Murthy.
The award was conferred for demonstrating a commitment to the common good - beyond the bottom line.
This is not the first time when Kochhar has received a prestigious award. Time and again, her efforts have been recognised for her role in shaping the retail banking sector in India as well as her contributions to various forums in India and globally.
Kochhar received an honorary Doctor of Laws from Carleton University, Canada in 2014. She was conferred with the Padma Bhushan in 2011.
Kochhar, who began her career with erstwhile ICICI Limited in 1984, was elevated as Managing Director & CEO of ICICI Bank in 2009. She was instrumental in establishing ICICI Bank during the 1990s, and subsequently headed the infrastructure finance and corporate banking business in ICICI Limited.
During 2006-2007, she led the bank’s corporate and international banking businesses. She also chairs the boards of the ICICI Bank’s principal subsidiaries, which include India’s leading private sector life and general insurance companies.
Here’s a list of her accolades
1. Fortune list:
2. Forbes List:
3. One of most powerful women:
4. Top businesswoman:
5. One of India’s highest civilian awards:
Popular on BI
- A millennial who became a millionaire after the 2008 crash says building wealth is about more than opportunistic investing. You also have to make lifestyle changes and load up on side hustles.
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- Learning AI can be lucrative: Freshers’ annual pay is ₹10-14 lakh in India, says TeamLease Digital report
- CoCo bonds fall sharply over Credit Suisse deal
- Date night conversations to diet charts – 10 things ChatGPT can help you with
- Gold is bankable, shines more than some western banks say experts
- Fear of financial crisis is keeping investors away from stock markets say experts