IIT Bombay best Indian institution for higher education: QS India rankings
IIT-Bombaydominates the top 75 QS India rankings 2019 released on 16 October.
- Among the top 10 are seven IITs, IISc Bengaluru, University of Hyderabad and the University of Delhi.
- This is the second country-specific ranking by QS after China and the first QS rankings for India.
The recently released rankings unveiled the top 75 institutes in India for higher education. The first position was given to IIT-Bombay followed by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bengaluru. Among the top 10 institutions are seven IITs located in Bombay, Delhi, Madras, Kanpur and Kharagpur, IISc Bengaluru, University of Hyderabad and the University of Delhi.
The overall scores given to IIT-Bombay was 48.5 which were derived from indicators like academic reputation (52.5), employer reputation (72.9), faculty-student numbers (43.3), citations per faculty (54.1), international students (4.1) and internal faculty (1.8). IIT-Bombay stands at 162nd position in QS’ global rankings.
Jawaharlal Nehru University was excluded from the ranking as it focuses more on research. The QS India ranking is specially designed to reveal the positions of institutions focusing on graduation or post graduation. Surprisingly, The only private institute to make it to the top 20 list was Birla Institute of Science and Technology
As per the report, twenty out of seventy-five
Why specific rankings for India?
QS India ranking is the second region-specific ranking by QS after China. The British organisation has recently decided to bring out country-specific rankings beginning with China, India, South Korea, Japan and Mexico. The region-specific rankings are a response to the increasing demand of information from within the nation rather than in the global context.
India’s educational system has witnessed a massive change over the last decade. It is the third largest higher-education hub housing thousands of universities across the country. The country was also ranked 24th in QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings 2016.
- Best Samsung mobile phones in India in March 2021
- Laxmi Organic IPO is slated to hit capital markets next week — price band set at ₹129-130 a share
- Tamil Nadu orders spot fine of ₹200 for not wearing a mask amid rising cases of COVID-19
- India's oldest voter gets first dose of COVID-19 vaccine
- Delhi Budget: Law university, English speaking course on cards for higher education students