IMF predicts India will grow faster than China in 2018 to regain the fastest-growing economy tag
IMFhas revised down its earlier projection of 7.4% growth to 7.3% given the recent increase in global oil prices and tightening global financial conditions.
- China’s growth rate also lowered to 6.6% in 2018 and 6.2% in 2019.
- IMF warns rising fuel prices and weak rupee expected to increase inflation to 4.7%.
In April, IMF had projected India’s growth rate to be at 7.4%, which it has now revised down given the recent increase in global oil prices and tightening global financial conditions, IMF has said in its
For 2019-20, India’s growth is projected to be at about 7.4%, on the back of the rebound from the shocks of demonetisation and the goods and
In comparison, China is expected to grow at 6.6% in 2018 and 6.2% in 2019. China’s growth projections have been lowered in part due to the impact of US tariffs hitting Chinese exports and slowing external demand growth and financial regulatory tightening, according to the report. China was the fastest growing economy in the world in 2017.
According to India’s central bank the Reserve
However, the recent hike in oil prices and weakening rupee is expected to affect India’s inflation numbers, according to IMF, which has called for a tighter
IMF has warned that India’s inflation rate is expected to increase to 4.7% in 2018-19 compared to 4.5% in 2016-17 because of rising fuel prices and accelerating demand.
Comparing India to trends in Argentina, IMF has urged India to “re-anchor expectations” where inflation continues to be high and increasing higher due to a sharp currency depreciation.
Last week, RBI’s
Popular on BI
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- A boomer grandma advises on how to set boundaries with millennial kids when it comes to babysitting
- India's best relaxing holiday spots for peaceful retreats
- Inter-ministerial approval board can permit demarcation of non-processing area under IT sector SEZs
- Winter wellness: 10 Amla recipes to embrace this season
- ‘Confident’ Indians might splurge on big-ticket items in 2024
- Tata Power stock zooms ahead after brokerage on upgrade