Imran Khan is asking Donald Trump to intervene in Kashmir as promised
- Tensions along the
Line of Control(LoC) between India and Pakistan have escalated.
- Pakistani Prime Minister
Imran Khanis asking US President Donald Trumpto mediate the issue between the two countries.
- Khan is also asking that the citizens of Kashmir be ‘allowed to exercise their right to self determination according to UN SC resolutions’.
President Trump offered to mediate on Kashmir. This is the time to do so as situation deteriorates there and along… https://t.co/7ouXBZcPwW— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) 1564914897000
Last month, Khan and Trump met in Washington after which Trump stated that the Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, had asked him to ‘meditate’ on the ‘issue of Kashmir’. But, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) denied any such claims.
We have seen @POTUS's remarks to the press that he is ready to mediate, if requested by India & Pakistan, on Kashmi… https://t.co/WEVHyMhwXL— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) 1563820127000
The recent flare up along the line of control (LoC) between the two countries has Khan calling for Trump again to help resolve the escalation of tensions that could result in a ‘regional crisis’.
It is time to end the long night of suffering for the people of Occupied Kashmir. They must be allowed to exercise… https://t.co/WcItPlqO9K— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) 1564914896000
Meanwhile, there is a lot of buzz around what steps India may take with respect to Kashmir but the government in New Delhi has maintained a radio silence in the face of rampant speculation.
There will be more action along the LoC over the next few days according to sources cited by the Times of India.
The Trump-Khan camaraderie
The relationship between Pakistan and the US was not always as friendly. Last year, Trump tweeted out that Pakistani’s have ‘given us nothing but lies and deceit’ as well as ‘safe haven’ to armed fighters.
However, the two sides have been seen warming up to each other over the last few weeks, during which Pakistan bought F-16 fighter jets worth $125 million from the US. These are the same jets that were used against India to retaliation to the 26 February Balakot air strike.
After Khan and Trump met in Washington, resolving the ‘issue of Kashmir’ wasn’t the only conflict resolution on the table. Trump offered his mediation with the implication that Pakistan would, in return, ‘extricate’ the US from 18-year war that they have been fighting in Afghanistan.
All that's happened in Kashmir over the last 72 hours – from movement of troops to suspension of internet to political leaders under house arrest
Omar Abdullah, Mehbooba Mufti are placed under house arrest
All the restrictions imposed on the Kashmir valley starting Monday
Popular on BI
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore