In India, Flipkart tops the ‘fairness’ quotient for gig economy workers: Report
- In India, Flipkart’s delivery & logistics arm eKart ranks first in terms of ‘fairness’ for its
- Foodpanda, Uber and Ola scored only two points, fulfilling only minimum wages criteria for its workforce.
- Separately, to ease the delivery process, the platform also introduced robots to sort packages according to pincodes.
With a number of Indians entering the gig economy, which includes workforce that is remotely managed by online platforms such as Flipkart, Uber among others, workplace conditions have become an important consideration.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
Walmart owned e-commerce platform Flipkart topped the company rankings in India for its delivery and logistics arm eKart scoring seven points.
While food delivery platform Foodpanda, cab services platform Ola and Uber scored just two points, fulfilling only the criteria for minimum wages. However, Uber’s food delivery platform UberEats scored three points, adding the facility of offering a process for the decisions that affect workers.
The report measured the markets on five fronts — fair pay, fair working conditions, fair contracts, that is transparency around the terms & conditions, fair management, and fair representation.
The ranking has been concluded on the basis of a collaborated ‘Fairwork Research Project’ by the International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore, the University of Cape Town, the University of Manchester, and the University of the Western Cape analysing the markets in India and South Africa.
Separately, Flipkart has also recently introduced robots — Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV) — in its delivery process to sort packages as per the pin codes where it is to be delivered. However, the company reportedly said that the move will not impact its workforce as it will ‘upskill’ its employees for larger work.
Flipkart is bringing in robots to help it sort through packages
AdvertisementIndian startup founders are giving up ownership too early – and that's a bad idea
Most Indians find ride-hailing services cheaper than private cars for mid-distance travel: Survey
- 5-star rating refrigerator (fridge) in India
- Best soundbar with Dolby Atmos in India 2021
- Best soundbars with a wireless subwoofer
- Myntra signs up Hrithik Roshan, Vijay Deverakonda and Dulquer Salmaan as its newest brand ambassadors
- Google is now using Chrome as an added security layer for account sign-ins